The trickiest quadruplet

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
shakyhands
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The trickiest quadruplet

Post by shakyhands »

This one has me stumped, just when I thought I had a new set of tunes under my belt

https://youtu.be/NbmnqX2lzs8

It’s from the second half of the B part of the second tune in this set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWx4fkf88A8

I’ve done my usual “trick” of slowing the video down to quarter speed and trying to replicate what is going on. As I try to get at in my video, I’m wondering if the physics of a narrow chanter bore facilitates a better cross fingering on F# (in which the bottom three fingers of the bottom hand are open, instead of just the middle finger; I say G in the video…oops) and octave jump downward. It does not seem to be a valid cross fingering on a concert pitch chanter. Opting for the typical F# fingering, it is nearly impossible to get the octave jump playing in an open style (for me anyway). For the time being I think I’ll just try to get it down as best as I can with the orthodox fingering, and not worry so much about the octave jump down on the F# (switching to top hand notes automatically makes the octave jump down).
Tou-Che
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The trickiest quadruplet

Post by Tou-Che »

If you are referring to what he is doing at 1:17 & 1:47 I think it's the following: hold the back D out then a quick high E into a high G/F/E triplett into a back D continuing to the C and so forth....
(Speaking in terms of a Concert Pitch D chanter)
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The trickiest quadruplet

Post by Pipewort »

this is my take on what he played. worked for me. convert the abc into dots in a suitable program. What your talking about is quite a common technique, similar to back stitching.

T:Paddy Fahy's (Hannan's)
R:D/Jig
C: Robbie Hannan - in a YouTube clip of an RTE program from 1982/3
M:6/8
K:G
DFA d2 {a}e | dcA F>{A}G{F}G | ADF c{d}ce | ecA GEA |!
D.F/.G/A ded | {g}dcA GFG | Adc .g/.f/AG |1FAD ~D2 A|2 FAD {A}AFA ||!
AdA .g/.f/ed | {d}cAG ~A2 B | cAc edc | {c}BcA {c}GAG |!
.A.d.g .f.e.d. | .c.A.F .A.D.F | Adc .g/.f/.A]G |1 FAD {c} DFA |2 FAD ~D2 A ||!