Willie 50

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Willie 50

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Some images, randomly picked, from the 50th WCSS (Willie Clancy Super Spreader , some would argue). They're monochrome, it worked out easier. I have not yet lost my sense of colour. So there you have it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

This covers Sunday-Wednesday. May post more later, if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: Willie 50

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Yes, we’re interested. Thank you so much for posting these wonderful photographs!
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Absolutely wonderful Peter.

Thanks for posting these. I look forward to seeing any others that you may have.

The lighting in the Macdara one is spot on.

Cheers

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

OK then, here's another few . I am only sorting though the Willie snaps at the moment and I am plucking some fairly random ones out of the lot, unedited, The concerts are lit in a bright yellow/orange that doesn't make people look very well so rather than editing that as best I can, I converted the lot to monochrome for now.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
My brain hurts

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Great photos Peter, obviously the best decision made for a long time was making you the official photographer.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Liam McNulty used to bring out all the pupils of the more advanced piping classes out, creating a record of players. It also had the advantage you could catch players who were to grow into proper pipers very young. I cooperated on a few occasions during the late nineties/early naughties. This sort of thing:

That particular film also has images of young Louise Mulcahy, Seamus O Rochain and a few others that are still going.

And there's the young and upcoming from concerts of the nineties:

It's good to have record like that. For the 50th Willie week a photo presentation was put together with images through the years, right from the start to 2019. It was running on screens in the Hall. A lot of things have changed since the early years, a lot of familiar faces gone.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:55 am a lot of familiar faces gone.
Great to see Dave hegerty still about
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Dave and his wife were on good form. It was good to see them. He was working away in the reedmaking room in the mornings, as usual.
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Lovely photos. Have you considered putting together a book of photos of the WCSS over the years? I'm sure that there would be great interest in such a book.
PJ
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Very nice photos there. Who is the young lady playing what seems to be a left-handed Wooff set? I've seen her before but can't think of her name. I recognise Rita and Marion, but not the other female pipers.

Good to hear that Dave Hegarty is still doing the reed making course. He was always very helpful. I heard that some people did get infected though, Jimmy O'Brien-Moran for one. Hope you managed to dodge the bug.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Willie Clancy Super Spreader name above was tongue in cheek. But only a little bit. It spread like wildfire. A lot of people came away with it.

The left handed set Muireann ni Shé is playing one of Derrick's and very nice it is too.
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

She appears on the "Piping in the Parlour" series with her new set.

A lovely player and the set sounds wonderful as well.

Thanks Peter for giving us non-attendees a glimpse into the Willie 50.

According to the date on the right of the post I am 20 years on this site (would that be correct?)

John
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes of course, Muireann Ni Shé, and Derrick was inspired/taught by Geoff. I looked at this video and the set does sound fine:
https://pipers.ie/source/media/?searchT ... 12&sPage=1
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

During the Willie week a digitised photo exhibition looking back on 50 years of SSWC/WCSS ran on a big screen in the hall. Fun to see who you recognise, didn't everybody look young and how many we have lost and all that.

An, I believe, slightly extended version was posted on YouTube recently (I was told a few weeks ago it was to go up but didn't keep an eye out.). Kenny posted a link on thesession.org recently but it may be of interest here as well.

See here
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi Peter - they are a great series of photos, a veritable "who's-who" of the traditional musicians of Ireland in the last 50 years. Sometime last year, or possibly in 2021, we had some correpondence about a whistle player, a young lady whom I had heard performing at the Flute & Whistle recital in 1980, Mary Anne Sexton. Is that her to the right of Micho Russell in the photo at 1min ?
PS - great to remember the times when Darach de Brun - and some others, self included - had hair.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"