Chinese cane

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Chinese cane

Post by pancelticpiper »

I know of people who play Bulgarian pipes (which have chanter reeds made like fat short cane drone reeds) who buy cheap Chinese paintbrushes at Art Supply shops.

I'm told these paintbrushes often have handles of high-quality Arundo Donax.

These wouldn't be big enough for uilleann chanter reeds of course, but it's a creative source for inexpensive cane.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Chinese cane

Post by billh »

Feng is significantly harder cane than the K.Ge. The stuff NPU is selling is from K.Ge, and for our purposes I recommend it over the Feng product. Both are Arundo donax, sold as bassoon tubes. The two companies harvest from different regions of China.

The material I have tested (from several batches) has not been processed in any unusual way.

You can specify a harvest year; if you’re planning to use it immediately, you might specify something other than the most recent harvest. I like the 23-24 mm offering but I believe 25-26 is also available, if you order direct from Kexun Ge.