Eoin Ó Riabhaigh: When the ancient uilleann pipes meet modern 3D printing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Eoin Ó Riabhaigh: When the ancient uilleann pipes meet modern 3D printing

Post by Steampacket »

Eoin Ó Riabhaigh: When the ancient uilleann pipes meet modern 3D printing:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle ... ctkQMpeTmo
elbowmusic
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Re: Eoin Ó Riabhaigh: When the ancient uilleann pipes meet modern 3D printing

Post by elbowmusic »

You can tell the photographer was not a piper (or much a of a photographer for that matter). One decent shot of the pipes with the chanter in mid-swing totally out of focus and blurry. I'd love to get my hands on that Taylor set...
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The article title is misleading. I wouldn't refer to 3D-modelling controlling CNC as 3D Printing.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

Post by elbowmusic »

Yes. Agreed. It's possible he uses 3d printing for something (in the article they directly say he's using 3d Printing), but his quote doesn't mention 3d printing. I do wonder what, exactly, he's i doing with a CNC router.
-Nate Banton-
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

elbowmusic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:50 am Yes. Agreed. It's possible he uses 3d printing for something (in the article they directly say he's using 3d Printing), but his quote doesn't mention 3d printing. I do wonder what, exactly, he's i doing with a CNC router.
He doesn't specify a CNC router, but CNC machinery. It could be lathe control for profiling the outer appearance, cutting key blocks or whatever is needed for regulators, tenons, sockets, etc., or drilling toneholes.
elbowmusic

Post by elbowmusic »

"Some of the processes are computer-controlled, and I've drawn the pipes up as 3D models, and I cut them on a CNC router,"
-Nate Banton-
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

elbowmusic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10 am "Some of the processes are computer-controlled, and I've drawn the pipes up as 3D models, and I cut them on a CNC router,"
Oops, my mistake. I somehow missed his actual quote & grabbed the more vague info from the other text.

However, looks as if CNC routers can operate on multiple axes (such as 3-axis, 4-axis, etc.) and can also be utilized with a lathe or various jigs for the type of cutting I was suggesting.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Yes, indeedy, CNC machining centers can have some amazing capabilities. My wife still chuckles about a demonstration we attended where, as she put it, a CNC machining center was busy churning out one-tenth detailed statuette ´baby machining centers´. This was thirty-five years ago. Of course the turn key price of the system we saw was just short of half-million USD.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

“I prepare the wood for the chanter and the other parts of the pipes, it's all seasoned timber that's been pre-drilled and allowed to acclimate for maybe a year or two years, depending on the application. Some of the processes are computer-controlled, and I've drawn the pipes up as 3D models, and I cut them on a CNC router, then. It's a completely different way than I think anybody else, that I know of.”
I read that as Eoin is still probably boring/reaming the chanter in a traditional manner and then using the CNC to do other portions of it - Tim Benson does something similar I believe (he mentions how he integrates CNC'ing here in this video). The article isn't particularly clear on what exactly Eoin is doing though so, who knows!