Made in Pakistan chanter review

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
JR

Made in Pakistan chanter review

Post by JR »

I’ve put together a little video on YouTube comparing a Made in Pakistan chanter with the chanter I started with. I tried to give something of an unbiased opinion and looked at a few different reed combos to see how it played.

I know this is something of a hot topic on these forums so happy to remove the post if it’s controversial.

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/dZ5aiJufCRA

Thanks!
reedmasters
antispam: No

Re: Made in Pakistan chanter review

Post by reedmasters »

Watched your film clip with interest. It should be a help getting my own chanters in tune. (a Howard, a Daye and a Pakistani) Many thanks!
m4malious
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by m4malious »

Kind of morbidly fascinating....mainly in the sense of the maxim "..there's an hour I won't be getting back!".

That's not meant as a criticism of the post and the effort expended for curiousities sake, but more of a view of, that, after 20 years of hearing, seeing, reading about these things and their problems one has to ask "Why bother?".
The suggestion in the post is that it might just be a one-off dud. The reverse of that is really to ask if anyone, anywhere, has found one of these things that was even "acceptable", let alone "good" or "exceptional".

IIRC there was some article years ago about Britton or someone in the US taking them and re-reaming and re-holing them to try and get them at least reedable. I'm sure other people have
tried that also. Again IIRC, the conclusion was that the outcome was not worth the effort.

Perhaps the approach should be to the maker(s) in the sub-continent? Send them a set of accurate dimensions from some well known instrument? But of course, the issues might be in inability
to accurately copy anything, or sloppiness in replicating a pattern again and again.

Just my 1.33 ₽ worth.
MS
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Well done. I've been asked to reed 3 of 4 Pakistani-made chanters over the years and never got nearly as close as you have. It's unfortunate that people with little or no understanding of the instruments still buy these instruments thinking that they can use them "out of the box". It probably turns many people off the pipes.
PJ