Silver C set for sale.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Silver C set for sale.

Post by rorybbellows »

I understand its the way of the world and all, but to me it still feels a little unfair.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by geoff wooff »

Whilst we are here let's look at this Price/Value thing a wee bit.

What do we think a good set of pipes should cost ? For me, who is currently making two full sets per year, the price of a set should equal half my yearly income, as I have no other way of making a living. Yes I could make three sets but would have no spare hours and would probably be completely worn out by now. So, I ask you to think about your yearly income and see what a full set would cost if you made it.

Most secondhand sets sell for more than their original 'new' price. Does that make them a good investment ? After years of happy piping one can move a set on for a profit.... Okay, that does not always happen and there has been a lot of old rubbish and Pipes-a-like objects produced that should never have been foisted on the unfortunate.

All very well to see Pipmaking as a vocation but...... I have struggled to make a living from Pipemaking these last 44 years.

What do you think ?
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48816&hilit=Business#
It's an complicated issue with no one answer, I'm at work at the moment but would like to add to the discussion later. Hope you don't mind me posting this link Geoff, you get mentioned in it alot but it's a relative thread.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

rorybbellows wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:24 am viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48816&hilit=Business#
It's an complicated issue with no one answer, I'm at work at the moment but would like to add to the discussion later. Hope you don't mind me posting this link Geoff, you get mentioned in it alot but it's a relative thread.
RORY
Holy sh*t Rory,
I got square eyes reading that lot and only managed to page three!! I do not recall the exact incident, there were several happenings that reminded me of the Michael Egan story, where he 'cut' a customer with a reamer in a dispute about the price of a set and had to find passage to the USA on the quick before the cops arrived.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's a sad fact that there isn't much money in the traditional arts. Most of the tier 1 uilleann pipers are not full-time professional musicians, and have other jobs, unrelated to music, to support them. There are exceptions, but not many. And pipemakers have an even more precarious existence.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

geoff wooff wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:35 am the Michael Egan story, where he 'cut' a customer with a reamer in a dispute about the price of a set and had to find passage to the USA on the quick before the cops arrived.
So now we know why you moved to France. :) .

In my humble opinion the monetary value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it ,Let the market decide . The business model that most pipemakers use doesn't seem to be very secure as it doesn't allow for unforeseen problems such as inflation ,time lost through ill health and anything else you care to mention . I still think pipemakers should make pipes and sell them to the highest bidder . A pipemaker starting out will have to sell at a lower price but if he's any good his reputation will increase along with his prices ,whats wrong with that? Pipemakers like Geoff will be getting the big money they deserve . Time for a change.

RORY
PS maybe not a lot of money out there in the professional trad music world ,but a lot of them have other jobs, well paid secure jobs and can easily afford to pay top prices for top quality instruments.
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:PS maybe not a lot of money out there in the professional trad music world ,but a lot of them have other jobs, well paid secure jobs and can easily afford to pay top prices for top quality instruments.
In the world of classical music, you sometimes see arrangements made by businesses or foundations which acquire expensive instruments (Stradivarius violins, etc.) and loan them out to top rated musicians. If you could find a generous corporate (Irish) donor who would commission a pipe-maker for a set, which would then be loaned out to pipers as a legacy instrument.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I think the issue here is not getting one order for one pipemaker, but rather how can all pipemakers make a better living from their craft. Letting the market decide means better maker's make a better living.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Do you see any benefits for pipers?
My brain hurts

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

There will always be pipers, good pipemakers may disappear especially when aspiring makers learn that one of the best makers ever, is not driving around in a Bentley. Overall I don't see how it would be any worse for pipers.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Like the current housing market then, everything is fine as long as you can outbid the other buyers.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Yes exactly and like the housing market you buy within your range.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Giving the finger to the young and those on low incomes. Lovely.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Why, were they hoping to buy a wooff set, we all have to start at the bottom and work our way up.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

But then, it never was about getting a set from one particular maker, was it?

As you said:
the issue here is not getting one order for one pipemaker, but rather how can all pipemakers make a better living from their craft.
Don't you think this should be about doing right on both sides, getting a reasonable price for both the maker and the buyer? Ensuring access to good instruments for all pipers. The 'market' is never going to balance those two sides.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts