Uilleann pipe making lathe

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MisterTed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistle and NSPs. I want to play Uilleann pipes. I am Irish and live in UK. My heroes are all pipers

Uilleann pipe making lathe

Post by MisterTed »

Hi all,

I plan to do some instrument making when I retire and will buy a lathe with my severance pay. In the UK, Myford ML7s, Boxfords and in US, South Bend lathes seem to be all the rage. I am not sure why nobody buys a new lathe, the prices are more-or-less equivalent now? I don't have an engineering background

I saw this one and wondered if I was missing something? Myford posts are full of people having to mill the thing flat, lack of digital readouts, gear problems, chuck problems, tool-post problems etc etc.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl500m- ... ill-drill/

Would this do the trick? It's very shiny..

Ted
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Re: Uilleann pipe making lathe

Post by make_fast »

Might ask on the Bagpipe Makers Facebook group as well.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

MisterTed wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:08 amI saw this one and wondered if I was missing something? Myford posts are full of people having to mill the thing flat, lack of digital readouts, gear problems, chuck problems, tool-post problems etc etc.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl500m- ... ill-drill/

Would this do the trick? It's very shiny..
I think you're out of luck with that particular model:
Sorry, this product has now been discontinued
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Tunborough wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:04 pm I think you're out of luck with that particular model:
Sorry, this product has now been discontinued
It's also a metalworking lathe; is that really what you want?

(Yes, so is the Myford you mention, but just asking.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Those generic Chinese imported lathes are fine, its like any other tool its how you use it that matters. You can turn wood on a metal lathe but not the other way round.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Nothing wrong with getting a new one, especially if you can get into a DRO and other useful things that will help you hit the ground running. Getting an old one has the benefit of jumping in at a lower cost (my 1940s Atlas was free), but you have the drawbacks of dealing with its own quirks, such as worn out ways and missing components. Research, be wise about what you are purchasing, and buy once.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.