Cool UP cases from England

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cool UP cases from England

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Hiscox Cases makes a UP case for a standard set for £152. But shipping to the US is £140! I want to purchase a case and split the shipping cost with someone. Apparently multiple cases can be shipped for £140 total. The reason I'm looking for Southern California participants is so we don't have to incur more shipping costs once they arrive.

https://hiscoxcases.com/products/uillea ... -hard-case
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Re: Cool UP cases from England

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Hey Steve! I'm in.
Jeff
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Madpiper13
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Madpiper13 »

Call your dealers in the US and get a price, they may even have stock. They’re nice cases, I ordered one from a dealer here in Canada
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Jeff Cullen wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 pm Hey Steve! I'm in.
Jeff
Perfect, Jeff! Let's give the post a few more days and see if anyone else wants to join us. Frankly, I was almost ready to do it as a solo venture! Welcome aboard.
Madpiper13 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:13 pm Call your dealers in the US and get a price, they may even have stock. They’re nice cases, I ordered one from a dealer here in Canada
I don't believe there are any US dealers. (I wish I was wrong) In fact, the case is not even available on the US version of Hiscox' website.
Dwurd
Tell us something.: I want to be part of an online uilleann piping community. I play a Mickey Dunne half set. I did a semester at UL and got my introduction to uilleann piping from Blackie O'Connell. I'm a convert from GHB. Currently in Colorado.

Post by Dwurd »

You might try NPU first. I bought a Hiscox case over the phone from them in 2016 and they shipped it to Indiana. I don't remember how much I paid but I don't think it was that much.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Dwurd wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:34 pm You might try NPU first. I bought a Hiscox case over the phone from them in 2016 and they shipped it to Indiana. I don't remember how much I paid but I don't think it was that much.
Excellent suggestion, Dwurd. I have just sent NPU an email enquiring about the possibility.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve,
There has been the same issue with Hiscox guitar cases. Probably due to COVID-related shipping costs, it has not been economical for Hiscox to continue to have U.S. (or Canada) distributors of their product at this time.

Andertons, a UK vendor, which had previously not been authorized to ship outside the UK or EU, has (despite what it says on their website), has within the last 2 weeks had that restriction lifted. A few members on the Acoustic Guitar Forum have been successful in buying at reasonable prices.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/hiscox

Thus, you might be able to now buy through Andertons. I only see guitar cases on their site, but you might give them a call or email & see if they can acquire & ship the UP cases to you. They claim to special order, even custom sizes.

Prices for items are their website are including VAT, which they will remove for U.S. sales.

All the best,

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Steve Pribyl wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:12 pm Hiscox Cases makes a UP case for a standard set for £152. But shipping to the US is £140! I want to purchase a case and split the shipping cost with someone. Apparently multiple cases can be shipped for £140 total. The reason I'm looking for Southern California participants is so we don't have to incur more shipping costs once they arrive.

https://hiscoxcases.com/products/uillea ... -hard-case
Wow...
Repurpose a saxophone case, call it a "Uilleann" case....ker-ching.
M
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

Big fan of hiscox cases, got them for all my instruments.
Before they did the Uilleann case, I hollowed out a viola case. Now use that for my C set.
The Uilleann case I have is a perfect size and fit for my D full set. But, if you have a bellows that are quite fat or have a non detachable blowpipe, you’ll have trouble, there’s not a lot of depth inside.
Dwurd
Tell us something.: I want to be part of an online uilleann piping community. I play a Mickey Dunne half set. I did a semester at UL and got my introduction to uilleann piping from Blackie O'Connell. I'm a convert from GHB. Currently in Colorado.

Post by Dwurd »

My bellows fit just fine. I really like the case. I was convinced to buy one after a piper demonstrated its strength by standing on top of the case.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

The number of participants is maxed out at four, in order to limit the cost of goods to less than $800, to avoid import charges. I will add updates here upon completion of the transaction.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve Pribyl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:52 pm The number of participants is maxed out at four, in order to limit the cost of goods to less than $800, to avoid import charges. I will add updates here upon completion of the transaction.
Did you check with Andertons regarding individual purchases? At least with the guitar cases (which struck me as larger & heavier), the cost for shipping was about GBP 50 each to California. With the removal of the VAT on the cases themselves, the costs were far lower (shipped) than the retail posted.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The Uilleann case I have is a perfect size and fit for my D full set. But, if you have a bellows that are quite fat or have a non detachable blowpipe, you’ll have trouble, there’s not a lot of depth inside. Jon1908
I bought a Hiscox uilleann case from David Lim in order to ship my regulators and drones from England to Sweden 2020. Anyway, my D full set plus Dave Williams bellows, which is quite fat even when compressed, plus a flute in a soft Cavellaro roll, fit inside. I remove the straight bass drone bar and bass drone slide.
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

If you are stateside...I found one of these recently and purchased for around $80 US.

https://planomolding.com/products/aw2-3 ... 8052443296

If you don't know the name, Plano makes plastic rifle cases and fishing tackle boxes (reed-making kits). This is quite robust and I have yet to remove/alter the foam padding to fit a set, but it would appear that a full set will easily fit within, with little to remove.

I wish they offered a shorter version, but this will do. I have a Hiscox pipe case as well, nearly as large, both are quite robust and heavy.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.