Fred Morrison Uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piping Bulldog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fred Morrison Uilleann pipes

Post by Piping Bulldog »

Ive heard some very good sound clips of these pipes, and am considering giving a set a try. Are there any experienced pipers out there who can give these an educated playing critique?
BzzzzT
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann pipes

Post by BzzzzT »

I just purchased a Morrison chanter. I'm completely smitten with it! It has exceeded every expectation! It beautifully crafted of African blackwood, they keys are well sprung and very nice. It's super responsive, stable and well in-tune, plus it's priced VERY well. It's a copy of Fred's Williams set. The reed was also A+. I was expecting to make a reed for it when it arrived, but the reed Fred set up is awesome. The chanter has a very focused and powerful tone with great stability. I can't say much about the timbre, as I'm still playing this new reed in. To me this is a very high quality upper-tier chanter. Delivery was also very quick from when I placed the order and Fred is a great guy and a gentleman. I'm having trouble putting the chanter down, which is the greatest compliment I can give.
Piping Bulldog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Piping Bulldog »

thanks for that. ive already placed an order for a full set
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

Let us know how you like your set. I think you will be very pleased. McCallum did a great job building my chanter. I saw a video of their production facility and they had a section devoted to these pipes and several sets in production. I definitely would not mind a 3/4 set. I wish they offered the bass reg with a curved bar. I cannot tolerate the straight bar.
EzMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Post by EzMan »

Get your full set yet? Considering some of his pipes myself. Ez