Elbow strap improvements

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
joconnor58
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Elbow strap improvements

Post by joconnor58 »

Looking for some recommendations.

The elbow strap on my bellows is a little less comfortable than I think it can be. I'd like the strap to be a bit wider and longer. But also, I know I've seen straps with a metal loop at the free end to keep the strap from coming completely out of the clasp. So before I go searching the internet for belts that I can modify, I'm wondering if anyone (makers or modifiers) has any tips on where they may have gotten the materials to make/modify a strap they are really pleased with.

Thanks
- Justin
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Re: Elbow strap improvements

Post by JordanMcConnell »

Hi Justin,
Here in Canada we have a store called Tandy Leather that supplies leather and parts like buckles and rivets etc to the public. They are not cheap but they usually have everything I need, plus a willingness to help get a project moving in the right direction.
I see you're in Lexington, KY. I did a quick search and there is a Tandy in Louisville but not Lexington. Try a place called Hide House, though. Seems like they might be a good place to start.
Leather work is actually quite easy and enjoyable, you should definitely give it a shot.
Jordan
ps, a key ring threaded through a hole right at the end of your elbow strap will make a nice stop so it doesn't pull through the buckle.
joconnor58
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Re: Elbow strap improvements

Post by joconnor58 »

JordanMcConnell wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:38 pm Hi Justin,
Here in Canada we have a store called Tandy Leather that supplies leather and parts like buckles and rivets etc to the public. They are not cheap but they usually have everything I need, plus a willingness to help get a project moving in the right direction.
I see you're in Lexington, KY. I did a quick search and there is a Tandy in Louisville but not Lexington. Try a place called Hide House, though. Seems like they might be a good place to start.
Leather work is actually quite easy and enjoyable, you should definitely give it a shot.
Jordan
ps, a key ring threaded through a hole right at the end of your elbow strap will make a nice stop so it doesn't pull through the buckle.
Thanks, Jordan. Super helpful tips. I looked and I can get plenty from Tandy online, which is great. Sounds like if I wanted to drive over to Louisville, they are likely to have bins of excess and throw-away pieces which might also be fun. Their leather work tools and hardware will also be super helpful. Oh and the tip about a key-ring. So simple an elegant!
Justin
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....