New looking for guidance.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Seanlamb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just here to learn and find a good start in the world of Uilleann pipes. Played violin for years but always wanted to learn the pipes.

New looking for guidance.

Post by Seanlamb »

Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I'm looking to learn the Uilleann pipes and need guidance as to where to find a practice set here in the US. I am located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Also any insight of local pipe clubs or teachers would be awesome. For the practice set I'd like to keep it $1000 or under if actually possible. Thanks in advance! I look forward to this journey down the rabbit hole.

Sean M. Lamb
Steve Bliven

Re: New looking for guidance.

Post by Steve Bliven »

Bruce Childress in Maine https://www.bcpipes.com/Practice.html makes what he calls "Student Practice Sets" that are advertised at slightly above your desired price point.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
vanfleet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Re: New looking for guidance.

Post by vanfleet »

Sent you a pm but not sure you got it. You are close to a number of PA pipers, in Kutztown area, and Lewisburg area. We get together occasionally to try on a set of pipes, compare makers, swap tunes, and etc. All levels from experienced to complete novice. Contact me at javanfleet8@gmail.com and I will make sure you are invited to our next get-together.

JVF