looking to buy a Uillean pipe for a beginner

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
greenclan7
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: my 5 kids play irish music and now one of them wants to play the uillean pipes. looking for buy a starter :)

looking to buy a Uillean pipe for a beginner

Post by greenclan7 »

good evening!! my 11 year old is wanting to learn to play the uillean, anyone have a starter for sale? we have 5 kids and they are looking to start an irish band. my job as mom is to find the instruments 🥳
any leads would be helpful too
thanks so much!! Emily
Mr.Gumby

Re: looking to buy a Uillean pipe for a beginner

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It would probably help if you let the forum know where you are.

You will need to find an experienced piper who plays in a style your aspiring piper likes and who is willing to teach, to start them off. It would be a good idea to look into that first and once you have found someone suitable, have them advise you which instrument to choose and have them look over the pipes before you buy them to make sure the instrument is suitable and well set up.
My brain hurts

Tou-Che

Re: looking to buy a Uillean pipe for a beginner

Post by Tou-Che »

I was in your shoes not to long ago. I got my son a Cillian O’Brian tweaked generation D whistle while I searched the used market for a set. Ultimately, I found a decent deal on a Gordon Galloway practice set for him.

The advise my pipe teacher gave me when looking for a set was figure out who made the best players pipes and start there. There’s always exceptions to the norm but you will hear a lot of the same makers circulating .

Not sure what your budget is but personally I’d rather sink all the money into a chanter you can grow with if it meant subsidizing for a cheaper bag and bellows.

My first set I bought a Dave Williams chanter and shortly after realized I was broke so I built bellows from a David Daye Kit and made a vinyl bag on the cheap. Teenage ambition.

6 months in my son hasn’t touched the pipes and playing the Trumpet with a smile…..haha.