RIP Paddy Moloney

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

RIP Paddy Moloney

Post by geoff wooff »

Announced today is the passing of Paddy Moloney. One of those in a lucky position to be able to enlighten the outside world to the joys of the Uilleann Pipes.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: RIP Paddy Moloney

Post by PJ »

Very sad news. A seminal figure in traditional music and piping. RIP.

Does anyone know when he played his final concert?
PJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PJ wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:54 am
Does anyone know when he played his final concert?
There is an item where rte' s Nationwide went along on what was to be the final Chieftains tour here:

RTE news : Paddy Moloney remembered - classics from the RTÉ archives

but have seen him on TV more recently pulling out the whistle, can't remember the context though.
My brain hurts

reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

Enjoyed many hours listening to his music. Rest in Peace.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I haven't posted here in a long while, but I had to pay my respects to the great Paddy Moloney.

RIP.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Chino

Post by Chino »

Very sad news. RIP
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

The end of an era, he leaves an incredible legacy with the chieftains and a piper who inspired many.
Thanks Paddy.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

The last couple of days have been sad for music. Paddy will go down in history thats a fact for sure. R.I.P
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There was an episode of "Sé mo laoch" dedicated to Paddy Moloney in the mid-2000s. I have an audio recording of it, but sadly not the video. If anyone finds it anywhere on the web, could they please post the link here?

Paddy speaks of growing up, learning from Leo, getting the Chieftains started, and then his decision to "go professional" after a big gig in NYC in the 1970s. He signs and plays whistle with Barney McKenna, and plays a duet version of Six Penny Money with Kevin Rowsome (both playing Leo Rowsome sets), which sounded great (IMHO even better than the version he did with LOF).
PJ
Sandy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sandy »

PJ wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:42 am There was an episode of "Sé mo laoch" dedicated to Paddy Moloney in the mid-2000s. I have an audio recording of it, but sadly not the video. If anyone finds it anywhere on the web, could they please post the link here?

Paddy speaks of growing up, learning from Leo, getting the Chieftains started, and then his decision to "go professional" after a big gig in NYC in the 1970s. He signs and plays whistle with Barney McKenna, and plays a duet version of Six Penny Money with Kevin Rowsome (both playing Leo Rowsome sets), which sounded great (IMHO even better than the version he did with LOF).
Not sure if it is anywhere on the Internet, but I happened to have it downloaded on my old laptop.
Here is a download link, hope this kind of sharing is allowed here, because it really is a nice film, and I'd send it to you via PM, but on the forum there's a chance that somebody else could also enjoy it.
Wildepiper
Tell us something.: I'm a younger musician that plays the clarinet, saxophone, and GHB. I've recently become very interested in the Uilleann Pipes, and will likely soon shift the majority of my focus to them for quite some time. I figured that this was a good place to start!

Post by Wildepiper »

Sandy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:17 am
PJ wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:42 am There was an episode of "Sé mo laoch" dedicated to Paddy Moloney in the mid-2000s. I have an audio recording of it, but sadly not the video. If anyone finds it anywhere on the web, could they please post the link here?

Not sure if it is anywhere on the Internet, but I happened to have it downloaded on my old laptop.
Here is a download link, hope this kind of sharing is allowed here, because it really is a nice film, and I'd send it to you via PM, but on the forum there's a chance that somebody else could also enjoy it.
This is really fascinating, thank you! The Chieftains' music was always playing during Christmas at my house growing up, so they've strangely become inextricably linked with holiday feelings for me. Paddy's passing is a real tragedy.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

RIP Paddy Moloney. Very sad news!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RTE will be celebrating the life of the late Paddy Moloney tonight: