Seasoning Bellows with Hardie's Airtight - anyone in EU ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tanash369
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Seasoning Bellows with Hardie's Airtight - anyone in EU ?

Post by tanash369 »

Is there some pipemaker or piper in Europe with good experience and knowledge about bellows seasoning with Hardie's Airtight?

The maker who made the bellows actualy seasoned them with Airtight soon after he made them and suggested to me the seasoning again, since it apparently dried out and that's probably the reason why I have problem with the bellows leak somewhere, hard to detect. Since the original maker lives overseas about 8000 km from me, I am looking for someone in Europe to do the job. Thanks
JordanMcConnell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Re: Seasoning Bellows with Hardie's Airtight - anyone in EU ?

Post by JordanMcConnell »

Hi, I'm not in Europe but I have used Hardie's to seal a set of bellows and it is very starighforward. I don't think you'd need to find someone else to do it.
The directions on the bottle are very simple, the only tricky bit is setting up a way to get it in and out of the bellows without it going everywhere. I used a funnel and a short length of tubing that fit the outlet snugly and it worked fine. Unhinge the nose of the bellows, remove the clacker valve and cork the hole, melt the Hardie's in your microwave, pour it in, slosh it around for 30 seconds or so making sure you get it everywhere and then pour it out. I used about a third of the bottle which was probably way too much but you want to err on the side of too much, not too little.
Good luck.
Jordan
tanash369
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Seasoning Bellows with Hardie's Airtight - anyone in EU ?

Post by tanash369 »

Thank you very much Jordan for your help :thumbsup:
I'll do my best and see what happens. Thanks