First Set of Starter Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ureridu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking to buy my first uilleann pipe and have many, many questions. I'll avoid spamming the board, but might ask a redundant question or two.

First Set of Starter Pipes

Post by ureridu »

Hi All,
Apologies for another "which set should I buy" thread, I won't pretend that my circumstances are particularly different from any of the others who've asked this before, but I was hoping for feedback on a particular ebay- so I figured that would excuse the thread.

I've always loved the sound of bagpipes, especially uilleann ones and I've finally worked up the courage to try them. I'm aware the standard advice is to buy a set from the closest reputable maker you can find, and I intend to ultimately follow that as best I can (though I have struggled to find a maker near georgia, USA). Thing is, I don't exactly have musical talent, so before plunking down a rather pretty sum and waiting a few years, I'd like to pick up a decent practice set now to get a feel for the instrument. And to scope out my wife's tolerance bagpipe noises.

I'm looking for something that meets these criteria:
  • less than $2k USD, preferably under 1k, but... that may not be realistic
  • short wait, less than 3 months
  • pleasant tone
  • drones would great, but probably not realistic at this pricepoint
To that end I've identified a few options:
Daye penny chanter- I'd probably go with the half set
pros:
  • very reasonably priced
  • tone seemed decent in youtube recordings
  • drones
cons:
  • wait time
  • some people seem to love these, but others seem to really hate them

Howard Practice set from ebay
pros:
  • Seems fairly cheap
  • quality chanter (?)
  • immediately available
  • I could probably sell with minimal loss when I upgrade
cons:
  • it's been relisted so many times that it seems suspect- perhaps overpriced or questionable
  • france and georgia don't exactly have the same climate
  • ebay is always a gamble
  • Maker is retired. Although his successor still appears to sell howard reeds.

Childress Student Model
pros:
  • seems like a quality set
  • Maker is on the east coast, albeit the opposite end
  • Trade in deal is great if I later settle on a Childress 1/2 plus set
  • immediately available
cons:
  • maine still has diff climate than georgia
  • not sure how it compares to his proper sets

Banba half set on FB marketplace
pros:
  • seems like a quality set for $1600 USD
  • is a half set
  • Could probably sell for minimal loss if I upgrade
cons:
  • Located in the UK
  • seems weirdly cheap for a 1/2 set. but so do new ones from Banba design
  • fb marketplace is the sketchiest venue
  • haven't actually confirmed that the seller ships abroad

I was hoping for some feedback on the above items. I'm actually quite interested in the howard chanter, as well as the banba 1/2 set. I'm just concerned by how long the howard set has been available (as well the concave filing on the finger holes- it just looks a little off. ) and I'm pricing of the banba 1/2 sets, even new, seems shockingly cheap. How are these usually regarded.

Also, please feel free to suggest options that I have missed. Thanks!
myles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: First Set of Starter Pipes

Post by myles »

Try dropping Childress and Gallen a line and see what they say, particularly about reeding for your climate, delivery times, what distinguishes their 'student' model from other instruments etc.

Getting something from Ebay is always tempting but as a beginner, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you could get the set checked over by an experienced player before sale. You may be better waiting to see if something
comes up that you can look at in person (eg in the same general part of the US) before parting with your money. If you have up to $2k to buy new there are a lot of makers to choose from, potentially, depending on your waiting list tolerance.

In terms of pipes I have seen played or got my hands on, and which you have a realistic probability of ordering (which means I can't really recommend the Wooff, K&Q, Froment etc sets I've had a go on) I can only really suggest makers from across the Atlantic from you, but a few further to consider -

- K McNichol kmbagpipes.com (has some practice sets around the £900 mark)
- Sam Lawrence hunterpipes.co.uk (no idea what Sam's waiting list is atm but a fine maker)
- Andy Faden fadenpipes.uk
- David Lim davidlim-uilleannpipes.com

No doubt others will have some American makers to suggest?