Thread for joints

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
redness
antispam: No

Thread for joints

Post by redness »

Hi folks, I'm looking to order thread for doing my joints, I see on older posts that #10 cotton or linen thread is recommended, but when I try to order that on ebay or through google, all you see are loads of threads, the #10 seems to mean nothing, could someone share a link to where I can get suitable thread, cheers
make_fast
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Re: Thread for joints

Post by make_fast »

NPU stocks both linen and hemp thread.

Ted Anderson used to have two weights of hemp thread along with all of his other reed and piping supplies (I believe he supplied NPU with hemp) - but it looks like his website is down so I don't know if he is still selling stuff.
redness

Post by redness »

cheers
redness

Post by redness »

The only thing about the NPU thread is that its too think, I have a set of Andreas rogge pipes and the thread on them is very fine red thread, where could I get something like that?
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I use machine sewing thread ( cotton and polyester) which comes in large spools ( cones) for use on Over locker machines. I don't know how many miles of thread there are on one of these but the sewing thread I prefer is .004" ( 0.1mm) diameter. This should be obtainable from any good sewing shop or supplier.

I buy mine at Brocante markets here in France , very cheaply second hand... (car boot fairs in UK) what people call these things in other countries I'm not sure, perhaps Yard sales or swap meets....

I like the thin thread because it is easier to get just the right tightness of joint.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

redness wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:18 am The only thing about the NPU thread is that its too think, I have a set of Andreas rogge pipes and the thread on them is very fine red thread, where could I get something like that?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94386&p=1116556&hil ... l#p1116556
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

geoff wooff wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am I use machine sewing thread ( cotton and polyester) which comes in large spools ( cones) for use on Over locker machines. I don't know how many miles of thread there are on one of these but the sewing thread I prefer is .004" ( 0.1mm) diameter. This should be obtainable from any good sewing shop or supplier.

<snip>

I like the thin thread because it is easier to get just the right tightness of joint.
Ditto. I've been using sewing cotton for a decade and it's perfect for 'fine tuning' the tightness of a joint.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
redness

Post by redness »

thanks guys