Thumb strain.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Thumb strain.

Post by ennischanter »

Getting back into the chaos, and I am noticing that both of my thumbs seem to feel mildly strained.

I have tried relaxing my hands more while playing, but the soreness still lingers I found.

Somethings to note: I have the (probably bad) habit of playing/practicing a bunch in one sitting without breaks, I’m sure this would not help things.

My reed feels a bit “stiffer”, even though I haven’t played in a while and can’t really judge, I find the reed requires a fair bit of pressure, the top corner of the reed has a very small nick on it, still plays fine, but I just wonder if it might affect ease of playing. I bring this up as I suspect me squeezing the bag harder is putting strain on my hands, but I don’t know.

Closing the reed helps somewhat, intonation issues and an autocrann/gurgle are prone to happening, though that’s also probably the dry air from the new air conditioner.

Would you suggest I take more frequent breaks and perhaps try closing the reed with the bridle a bit more? (I suppose I could open a window to let in some more humid, chanter friendly air. Just very hot outdoors.)

We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
omarapiping

Re: Thumb strain.

Post by omarapiping »

I get some sort of tendon strain in both thumbs, thought I seem to get tendon issues from any sort of repetitive activity (insert jokes at will…).

Take breaks, massage them, be conscious of “death-grip”. Not sure about pressure, seem to find pressure concentrates further up the arm.

And drink lots of water, seems to help with everything.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Thumb strain.

Post by ennischanter »

I have played some, I adjusted the bag so that it is at an "upward" angle, and thus the chanter is closer to my body.

This, along with taking more breaks has helped immensely :), easier to squeeze too, I guess it's because my arm has covers more bag area.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.