Willie 2021

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Willie 2021

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I passed through town on Tuesday, in full knowledge it was actually Willie week but I couldn't sense any of it in the town. And it felt odd.

Since then low level buzz developed around Miltown, a good few people arrioved on the sly. Pubs still only serving in outdoor spaces but those get so crowded even my son thought it silly. There are tunes going though. Just 'did a mainy' and ran into several familiar faces, Paraic Keane, Johnny Mhairtin Learai going up the street smoking a fag, McNeela flogging stuff from his usual pop up shop, a few others too that I didn't recognise but who seemed to recognise me.

And a mural in the proces of going up. Martin came out of it better than Willie, I think.

Only got my second dose of AZ last Monday so not quite up to meeting the Delta variant. Put a new roof on the shed instead.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Willie 2021

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks for the Willie Week update Peter. We're just back from our first trip to Stockholm in 15 months. We've also had our second shots of Pfizer. Are people playing outside at the Blondes? Prehaps the sessions are reminiscent of the first Willie Week back in the early 70's? Is that Rochford in the mural with Willie, I've only seen him with a cap on. There's no official folk festivals going on here in Sweden, but I can imagine some musicians will turn to camp and play privately at certain festival spots.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hi Tom. I haven't chanced it but heard Michael A, Friel's and Players all had outdoor areas with music.
It's Martin Talty playing the Harrington set.
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Peter. I always looked forward to your Willie Week reports when I wasn't in Miltown myself.

I always liked the rundown you gave on the new CD front: who was launching what and the great and the good in Spanish Point convent.

There must be people buying if McNeela has opened up his shop.

John
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

It's Martin Talty playing the Harrington set. Mr. Gumby
Ah, that's why I didn't recognize Rochford. Also thought it strange that Rochford had a Harrington set. I see on Miltown's fb page that Hilary's have a new outside venue now