South East Asia

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BobbyForres
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a basic highland bagpiper and have ordered my first set of uilleann pipes. I want to discuss uilleann piping.

South East Asia

Post by BobbyForres »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any uilleann pipers in South East Asia (Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand etc)? I’m in Vietnam and learning. Obviously it’s not possible to have any events now but would be good to know if there are any other pipers in the region to think about organising something in the next year or two.
Mr.Gumby

Re: South East Asia

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Definitely in Singapore, most likely in other places too.
My brain hurts

RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

There are a couple of uilleann pipers in the region with online presence: Rivelino Ismaya in Indonesia, and Faliq Auri in Malaysia.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

David Goldsworthy, in Australia, spent time in Indonesia, and got a few pipers started. Not sure where, though.
PJ
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Bangkok has a St. Patrick's Society. Could be a good place to start there.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
BobbyForres
Tell us something.: I am a basic highland bagpiper and have ordered my first set of uilleann pipes. I want to discuss uilleann piping.

Post by BobbyForres »

Cheers, everyone. I will have a search. I am thinking there must be someone in Singapore as well, which is quite close to where I am. Will check out the Bangkok St Patrick’s society and other suggestions too.
BobbyForres

Post by BobbyForres »

RenaissanceGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:38 pm There are a couple of uilleann pipers in the region with online presence: Rivelino Ismaya in Indonesia, and Faliq Auri in Malaysia.
Thanks, will check them out.