Foam for Regulator Tuning

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Foam for Regulator Tuning

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Does anyone know exactly the type of foam that Benedict Koehler uses on the rushes to tune regulators? If so, where does one acquire it? Thanks!
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Foam for Regulator Tuning

Post by Steampacket »

I didn't know Benedict used foam in his regulators. Does the foam lay flat, or is it curved, around the tuning pin?
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I have only heard about it. Apparently, it lies along the tuning pin under the holes that need to be flattened. The big plus is that, apparently, it does not cast a huge “shadow” downs towards lower notes, i.e., flattening them a lot as well, plus it does not decrease the overall volume of sound. Would love to know more about this!
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

Benedict made my regs, and put that foam on the rushes in each. They're thin strips, glued lengthwise to the rushes, just a couple of millimetres tall/wide. I think the idea was that he glued a strip the entire length of the rush, then pulled off the pieces he didn't want. Pretty expeditious! He mentioned at the time that he felt that it worked like Blu-tac, effectively modulating the bore to tune individual notes, but provided a gentler perburbation. To me, there's one drawback - once you pull off a little bit, say to adjust it, you can't put it back on easily (basically have to replace the entire strip). If this was something you needed to do seasonally, then the Blu-tac blob is easier. And that's where I'm at now - some foam, some Blob, probably heading inexorably towards all-Blob some day.

As for the nature of the foam, the pieces are very small, but it doesn't appear anything special. Just looks like what you might find as stuffing inside upholstery of some kind.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

For quite a few years now I have been using UHU Patafix , at the suggestion of Derrick Gleeson, for fine tuning of the regulators. It is in principle the same as Blu Tack but not so sticky and tends not to adhere to the bores. Rubbing a little dust onto the finished blob ( perhaps chalk or powdered graphite, but pipemakers have plenty of wood dust ) will further deteriorate any sticking abilities.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thanks, guys, for your responses!