How old are your reeds?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mogens Hundevad

Re: How old are your reeds?

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

I got my practice set back in 1977. Had an upgrade to a full set in 1978 (all by Brian Howard) and played witrh tha same reed all the way until about 1990. Then i choped a pice ott one finger on my right hand. No piping and no flute for quit some time. Around 2010 i went back to the pipes again and the reed was still working, but a bit hard to blow. I ordered a new form Brian and it worked plug and play and in tune. I still have the original reed and it stil plays.

Regards from Denmark
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Good to hear that you're playing again.

Interesting, I noticed my reed has bit a bit harder to blow since the hiatus too...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Vanzetti
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Vanzetti »

Reed was made in 11’ ,when I got the chanter, I was spending a good deal of time learning reed making, but have not given reed making a go since. While I like the idea of being proficient in reed making, I just don’t see the point. Any amateur reedmakers who have lucked into a good reed, still spend time making reeds?