Crowley set in G&H auction

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Crowley set in G&H auction

Post by Steampacket »

There's a Denis Crowley set (circa 1960) in the coming G&H auction on the 18th
https://auctions.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk ... -lot-1240/
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Crowley set in G&H auction

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the regulators are fitted with monoglot reeds.
I wonder what language they speak
My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Níl Béarla aige. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:33 pm
the regulators are fitted with monoglot reeds.
I wonder what language they speak
:) I realize that you’re joking, Peter, but do you think that there’s a possibility that the regulator actually have single tongue reeds in them? I’ve always wondered if this could be done (largely in view of the fact that the bagpipe chanters I saw on Bulgarian pipes were single reeds.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Ceann Cromtha wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:36 am ...possibility that the regulator actually have single tongue reeds in them? I’ve always wondered if this could be done, largely in view of the fact that the bagpipe chanters I saw on Bulgarian pipes were single reeds.
Not only Bulgarian bagpipe chanters but all Eastern European bagpipe chanters, the great East/West divide among bagpipe species.

What I wonder is if regulators are too steeply conical for singe reeds to work well. Bulgarian chanters have a gentle taper, in truth I don't know the rate of taper or whether it's less steep than regulators.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

This set was mentioned in the G&H auction on 13th September 2019. It was withdrawn though.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109130&hilit=%27G%2 ... auction%27
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

No, reg reeds can't take single reeds.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

elbowmusic wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 am No, reg reeds can't take single reeds.
I wonder if an experienced Bulgarian djura-gaida reed maker has tried reeding a regulator. Bulgarian chanter reeds are different than drone reeds, though still single reeds.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I don't know everything when it comes to reeds, but I'm fairly confident that an existing regulator can not be reeded with a single reed, no matter the design.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've never heard the expression "monoglot reed" before. Is it used for other instruments - oboes, clarinets, saxophones, etc.?
PJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PJ wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:42 am I've never heard the expression "monoglot reed" before. Is it used for other instruments - oboes, clarinets, saxophones, etc.?
I don't think so.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It may mean they only speak in one octave.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

PJ wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:42 am I've never heard the expression "monoglot reed" before. Is it used for other instruments - oboes, clarinets, saxophones, etc.?
The correct term is "idioglottic" and means that reed body and reed tongue are made from one and the same piece of material, in this case a piece of cane with the tongue cut into it - as opposed to "heteroglottic" reeds which have a tongue of one material tied onto a body of different material like cane tongue on plastic body or spruce tongue on brass body (as, BTW, is commonly the case with Bulgarian gaida reeds which have in most cases a cane tongue on a plexiglass body).
"Monoglot" would literally translated mean "one tongue" which describes a single reed maybe overelaborate but IMO quite correctly. As a matter of fact, at one time there have been GHB drone reeds on the market which featured two tongues opposite each other, meaning to add richness to the sound. They weren't very successful.
Finally: it is true that all East European bagpipes use single reeds in their chanters. All these chanters have cylindrical bores, typically between 7 and 9 mm. The Bulgarian gaida is a exception in that it has a tapered bore with a throat usually around 7 mm.
Although I never actually tried to equip a UP reg with a single reed, I can nevertheless say after many years playing, reeding and making single-reed chanters, that I never succeeded in making (that includes reeding!) one with a throat of less than 6 mm. In case of regs, we are talking about throat diameters of around 4 mm for the tenor and maybe 5.5mm for the bass.
And (sorry for anticipating) - before someone writes "but my tenor drone only has 3.8 mm bore" - yes, but it only needs to play one single tone!
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

I've seen a photo of a single-bladed oboe reed. It looked like a slimmed-down version of a clarinet mouth piece. Presumably it works.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Sold for £4000 hammer price, plus provision & V.A.T.