My experience with Widdicombe Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CCC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am learning to play the Uilleann pipes and am looking for insights from those who already do. I have been a whistle player for years and love Celtic music. I tried playing the Scottish Smallpipes, but am looking forward to playing an instrument with a two octave range and with a fingering similar to the whistle. Boy, 100 words is a lot to write about an instrument that I don't know a lot about. Eighty one words so far and counting.
May those who love us, love us, and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping.
Done.....

My experience with Widdicombe Pipes

Post by CCC »

I ordered a set of practice pipes from Widdicombe pipes on their website. After I checked out their review on this site I realized that they may be selling Indian-made pipes and cancelled the order immediately through their website, by replying to their email receipt and discovered that their phone has been disconnected. I called Master Card and found out that my money actually went to Hakam Din and Sons, not Widdicombe. I contacted Hakam by phone and was told that I had to cancel the order by email, which I did. Three days later I received an email from Widdicombe that the order was shipped - right above the cancellation email I sent them! I replied that I did not want the pipes and to cancel my order since UPS had not yet picked up the package. Then I told them if they shipped the pipes I wanted a return authorization now. I filed a complaint with the BBB that Widdicombe was not shipping what they advertised and I want my money back. Master Card sent me a complaint form to fill out since Hakam had no authorization to receive my money.

My money may be gone, but I wanted other pipers to read about an actual experience so they do not have to depend on hearsay.
iain beag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Re: My experience with Widdicombe Pipes

Post by iain beag »

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Sadly some companies are setting up and using descriptions like based on Rowsome plans for Uilleann pipes, based on Henderson plans for GHBs and based on Reid/Burleigh plans for NSPs.
Their pipes are best avoided, they are poorly made.
I have a set of their NSPs here on trial - luckily no money exchanged.
Some are under the name Widdecome not sure about the other names used.
Read the description carefully, its easy to be caught out.

If you paid using Paypal you may be able to get a refund.