Christopher Bailey D fully keyed Chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
adrianbyrne
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a uilleann piper and would like to connect with the community, like to look at the topics and connect with other pipers

Christopher Bailey D fully keyed Chanter

Post by adrianbyrne »

Hi Everyone

For sale is a fully keyed D Chanter, will need a new reed, the original one is not working. Also the back key needs a new spring which I will include, not sure how to put in on. I can include a working reed but it is not original to the chanter, plays flat.

Asking $1500 Canadian, I paid $2000, but with the spring and new reed I will take less.

Buyer pays shipping and insurance. I have pictures posted on Facebook under Uilleann Pipes for sale or swap, or I can send images.

Thank you for looking
Chris Bayley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Christopher Bailey D fully keyed Chanter

Post by Chris Bayley »

Hi Adrian

I assume this is a coil spring from what you say in which case the key pivot pin needs gently pushing out. If original (and no one has changed it) then it can be pushed out from either side as pin will be 1.6mm / 1/16" cylindrical brass or nickel silver. Removing the pin needs to be done carefully and not using a pointed implement as a slip could or inserting it too far could result in the key block being split off. Their will be a small hole in both the key shank and a corresponding one in the groove in the block so simply insert it but do this where you will be able to find the spring again should the spring escape and bounce and roll off. If unsure a photo would be useful for further advice.

Reeds can be supplied and they need to be of specific size and NOT say of "Rowsome Style and size. Staple is 4.2mm ID and 50mm long with head 30mm. Overall length is 78mm with binding being 2 to 3 mm beyond the staple. I use 3 or 4 turns of 24g (or similar) wire rather than a copper strip for the bridle.

Am pleased to announce that I am now back in the workshop and doing my best to catch up on orders and make a supply of reeds although still in a lot of pain from the spinal injury. I will, in the near future, be posting what happened to me and caused me so many problems as a warning to anyone who is using exotic or native timbers, nickel silver or brass or even ivory and liquids such as lacquers, varnishes and other workshops finishes etc,

Visitors are welcome by appointment

Chris
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Good to hear that you're back, Chris.
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Geez, I always thought that being a roughneck or a trawler man in the bering sea were the most dangerous occupations but it seems being a pipe maker is just as dangerous.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
adrianbyrne
Tell us something.: I am a uilleann piper and would like to connect with the community, like to look at the topics and connect with other pipers

Post by adrianbyrne »

Thank you Chris for the information.

Adrian
adrianbyrne

Post by adrianbyrne »

For sale is a fully keyed D Chanter, will need a new reed, the original one is not working. Also the back key needs a new spring which I will include, not sure how to put in on. I am including a working reed but it is not original to the chanter.

Asking $1200 Canadian, or best offer

Buyer pays shipping and insurance.

Thank you for looking
adrianbyrne

Post by adrianbyrne »

No Longer for Sale
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Chris Bayley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 am
Am pleased to announce that I am now back in the workshop and doing my best to catch up on orders and make a supply of reeds although still in a lot of pain from the spinal injury. I will, in the near future, be posting what happened to me and caused me so many problems as a warning to anyone who is using exotic or native timbers, nickel silver or brass or even ivory and liquids such as lacquers, varnishes and other workshops finishes etc,

Visitors are welcome by appointment

Chris
Does this mean that I can expect to recieve the full set I ordered and payed 2200 pounds for 15 years ago?
I can hardly believe it. But I can still hope.

Kind regards
Morten Fredberg from Copenhagen