How did you find your first set of pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Bagpipe Central
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Bagpipes of all types are our interest. Pipers from all over the world have added over a thousand listings of bagpipes and items associated with pipers to browse and search. Have a look for yourself and see how the site can help you learn more about your own pipes!

How did you find your first set of pipes?

Post by Bagpipe Central »

How did everyone find their first set of pipes?

From an instructor?
From a shop nearby?
Online?
In a neighbour’s basement?

We have heard many different stories about finding that first set and thought it would be interesting to start a thread...

Cheers!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: How did you find your first set of pipes?

Post by rorybbellows »

I got loan of a practice set from my instructor, then after a while I ordered a practice set from Dave Williams and built on it from there. A familiar story with a lot of pipers I'm sure.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I left my car unlocked one night...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:20 pm I left my car unlocked one night...
Good one. :lol:

I heard it through the grapevine. A local pipes/flute/whistle maker wound up with a full Ginsberg medium-bore C set in his lap - so to speak - and he wanted to unload it, and a mutual friend who knew about it picked me. The UPs had never really entered my mind before, but I just had to bite.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

Hi! In 1977 i was on som job-training in Waterford. One night i saw The Furey's in a pub and met Brian Howard there. A fer Days later i ordrede a practice set to be ready when i returned a month later for more training. I picked up the set, and Brian had arranged som clases with Tomme Kearney and i returned to Denmark with the 1. tune in the bag. 1 year later i had the upgrade to a full set wich i have played since then. I also bought a newer generation of Brians chanter fully kyed 35 years later
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I must paraphrase from The Jew of Malta:
¨Thou hast committed --¨
/Fornication {Or some other Grave Sin}:But that was in another country {And a lot of years ago}
/Besides the wench is dead¨

:D Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Back in the days before the internet, a local piper (who knew I was looking for a starter set) called me and said there was a Brian Howard practice set for sale in South Carolina (about a 6-7 hour drive). He gave me the seller's telephone number. When I called the seller, he said he wasn't home, but he had the set with him. He and his wife had gone to take care of his mother-in-law. When I asked where he was, he replied "Huntsville, Alabama", which by great chance is where I was. When I asked him where in town he was staying, he asked his wife where they were, and the address she gave was a 10 minute walk from my location. He brought the set over, and we both sat there looking at it. He had never learned to play it, and while I can play quite a few woodwinds, bagpipes of any flavor weren't in the mix. So, I bought the set, and between the local piper, NPU VHS/cassette tapes, and once a year tionols I began on the path.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Great story Dave!

Mine is far more mundane: in the 1970s the local (California) shop Lark In The Morning was selling Practice Sets, which I bought.

I can't think of the maker now but in retrospect they were pretty bad. Pretty sure they were made in the UK. (This was before they started making uilleann pipes in Pakistan, at least beginners were spared that horror then.)

We had an eccentric local pipemaker back then named Richard Maheu, he mostly made Balkan, Hungarian etc bagpipes but he also made uilleann pipes and reproduction Ancient Irish Warpipes (nothing like Scottish pipes). I saw a set of those in a museum!! The museum people had no idea they were made in California in the 1970s.

Anyhow I had Maheu make me a set of drones for my practice set, which did me until I got a David Quinn chanter around 1980. I added Eugene Lambe drones and regs to the Quinn chanter in the mid-1980s.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

I started learning pipes in 1995 back home in Toronto. Pre-internet and also a time when there wasn't much pipemaking going on in North America. I had a friend who had spent a summer in Dingle a couple of years earlier, and while there became friendly with Cillian O Briain through playing in sessions. Before my friend came home to Toronto at the end of the summer, he managed to convince Cillian to put a practice set together for him, I suspect from parts he had lying around the workshop. So he came home with an early Cillian chanter, as well as a bag and bellows. Sadly he struggled with reed issues in the Canadian climate so never took to the pipes. When I expressed interest in learning he kindly loaned me the set. My teacher Debbie Quigley helped me get a reed going in the chanter, and I learned on that for the first year or so while I was waiting for my first half set to be made by Kirk Lynch. I ended up buying the Cillian set off him in the end as well.

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru