Texas based Reed makers willing to teach?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
sjcavy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Texas based Reed makers willing to teach?

Post by sjcavy »

Hey all,

Anyone in the Austin area, or a bit further away, that is willing to teach me how to make reeds? Also where do you all recommend that I pick up the tools. I have a reed making kit that I got from my pipemaker, however I have absolutely no clue where to start.

S
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Texas based Reed makers willing to teach?

Post by Pipewort »

There is plenty of on-line video material. NPU has Cillian O'Brien, Geoff Woof, and Rogge, and Koeller. Detailed steps in their way of doing things. David Daye too on YouTube, and many others. All 'free', including NPU's material, so not just for members.

Make detailed measurements of your reeds and copy them. Others reeds may not work as well. The videos from NPU cover concert and flat reeds. You will need to put a good edge on your chisels as well! start on that, maybe! Precision is the key, from sizing to binding, and scrapping and tuning, with all the steps in-between.

Its good fun, as well as keeping you in control of your sound, and getting out of problems. Takes some time, but will come with practice.