Bellows, Bellows, Bellows

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldpiping
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Bellows, Bellows, Bellows

Post by Oldpiping »

Probably most people search for the holy grail chanters, but in my case thats the bellows.

I had chance to own 4 different bellows in the past and all of them had at least one of the next issues:

- inefficient (designed with dead moment, so clappers move several cm before starting to push the air out)
- started to leak (designed with leather which will need seasoning sooner or later)
- noisy (I could hear them while playing my loud D chanter)

Since there are several options for bellows these days (I have a long list), I wanted to ask for advice which maker actualy makes them without any of mentioned issues (zero dead moment, no need for seasoning, silent)?

I would prefer the answer from someone who tried many different bellows 1st hand. Thank you for help.
JR

Re: Bellows, Bellows, Bellows

Post by JR »

To be honest the dead movement is probably just an inefficient valve, either on the bellows on in your bag. A new valve should sort you out. I used to have one weighted down with a coin on the inside, really helped. Might also cure the noise too!

Jason
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

The rolls royce bellows
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Tom_S
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tom_S »

I have a set of Michael Dow bellows and they are absolutely magnificent.
Glenarley
Tell us something.: My family has been making pipes and reeds for over 25 years both Uillean and GHB. I am being asked to share pass on information on to other pipers in this open environment.

Post by Glenarley »

I do not play the uilleann pipes but as my family has been making them for more than 25 years, I do have a practice understanding of the pipes and bellows.

I personally do not like seeing a uillean piper hacking away on their bag like they are chopping wood. To me it gives the feeling of urgency like when a GHB player plays with a small bag and many short breaths.

Aesthetically it is also not pleasant on the eye. To the ear, the music is flowing yet, to my eye the piper’s actions look desperate and urgent, especially with plaintive tunes.

This girl can play the chanter and has good bag control but looks like she is chopping wood with her bellows arm, flapping like a seagull, and then that great thump just as she takes up the slack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40YOU8ggJk

The bloke in this video looks like he is relaxed and not rushed at all with his bellows arm. No flapping like a seagull and he does not appear to hit an urgent stop once he has taken up the slack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhbik61V20

The answer is in the design of the bellows.

Note how Calum Stewart uses a straighter sided tear-drop bellows design and the size, (capacity) of the bellows is larger than conventional teardrop designs. The straighter sides remove much of the excess leather so the slack is much reduced, there is your answer.

We make extended hexagon (coffin) shaped bellows and there is almost no slack to take up. We strongly recommend this design for learners because of the small slack and larger capacity. Like with the GHB pipes, the transition from squeeze to blow is where there is the greatest potential for error, so fewer breaths mean fewer chances for error. No different on the uilleann, especially on the second octave.

With the better designed bellows, you are pumping less times per minute because of the larger capacity and because you are not hacking at the bellows to get to the take-up point, the right hand is able to remain more stable because there is no jerk from the take-up and no sudden stop to put pressure on the right wrist and fingers.
We have never had a piper try the extended hexagon bellows and state that their teardrop design bellows was better, never!

For anyone interested in the exact specs and materials, Murray is very open and obliging with his specs and if you look at his videos, you will see the difference immediately. As he makes the pipes and reeds and plays most weeks in a pub band, he is better suited than I to give information from the player’s perspective. His email, murrayjackson@xtra.co.nz

Cheers

G
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

It’s really hard to beat Kelleher bellows. They’re airtight, sturdy and hard-wearing without being too heavy, and they look great. Their customer service is also superb. I supply them to virtually all my customers now.

The small size is big enough for most people, even for full sets. But if you prefer a larger bellows their full size model is plenty big.

kellehertrad.com
Glenarley
Tell us something.: My family has been making pipes and reeds for over 25 years both Uillean and GHB. I am being asked to share pass on information on to other pipers in this open environment.

Post by Glenarley »

Good day billh

Do you have any video links of pipers using these bellows? We do not possess one and are interested to see how well designed they are to cope with slack.

Cheers

G
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

The bellows in Callum's YouTube clip is a Thomson bellows, so that's another option, looks good.
RORY
Last edited by rorybbellows on Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Spartacus .
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

The bellows in Callum Steward's YouTube clip is a Thomson bellows, so that's another option, looks good.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

The bellows in Callum Steward's YouTube clip is a Thomson bellows, so that's another option, looks good.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Hi, I tried to find people playing Kelleher bellows with UIlleann pipes (many people do), but it's hard to see the bellows in a lot of videos! Apologies to the wrong bagpipe, but I happen to know that this gentleman sells almost all his smallpipes and Border pipes with Kelleher bellows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJhIEjXDffc
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Just in case you didn't hear me the first time! This new format is taking a bit of getting used to.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

While we are talking about bellows, are there any good budget bag and bellows sets out there? I was thinking of trying to get a cheap bag and bellows set, and then find a good deal on a used chanter, to get into UP for as cheap as possible. There seems to be a lot of good synthetic bags out there, but bellows seem a lot harder to find.

Also I hate to ask it, but does anyone have any info on the Geoffrey Pakistani bellows on ebay? According to this thread at least viewtopic.php?t=26849&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0, the pakistani bellows being talked about were fine. I wonder if the Geoffrey are similar.
Glenarley

Post by Glenarley »

Thanks elbowmusic

The Kelleher looks like a well made bellows and it plays with very little slack. Because we make bellows we see the design and shaping of the leather is very well designed and this helps make a bellows pleasant to play.
This video is a well credentialed GHB piper playing his bellows pipes. He looks to me like he is hacking away at a log with an axe. An example of a poorly designed bellows, not that I am criticizing the quality of the materials or workmanship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GIF2kHRdQ

Look at this video for a comparison. The closest piper seems very smooth while the bloke down the other end is really hacking away at the bellows. Think of what a beginner would be experiencing using the bellows with all that slack.

I believe that whatever you have to spend to get a well designed bellows is money well spent, especially for someone just taking up the craft.

Cheers

G
Glenarley

Post by Glenarley »

oops, forgot the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcgBFrqqq5c

I was only referencing the first performance with the three players.