Tune composing software

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
red342
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a GHB player and looking to begin playing the uilleann pipes. I am interested in your forum and sales pages.

Tune composing software

Post by red342 »

Is anyone aware of a uilleann tune composing software, write, playback etc... I’m not looking for the one that records your playing or records an electric chanter. I had one about 10 years ago for the GHB but can’t remember the name let alone find it.

Rob
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Tune composing software

Post by Tunborough »

Are you looking for a music notation program, with which to write down your own compositions? I've used Noteworthy Composer for writing down and playing back music; there are many others. Or are you looking for a program that generates the composition? (I don't know any of those.)
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

red342 wrote:I had one about 10 years ago for the GHB but can’t remember the name let alone find it.
Was that "Bagpipe Music Writer". See https://robertmacneilmusicworks.com/home/ for the current version. (I have no experience with them or BMW.)
red342
Tell us something.: I am a GHB player and looking to begin playing the uilleann pipes. I am interested in your forum and sales pages.

Post by red342 »

Tunborough wrote:
red342 wrote:I had one about 10 years ago for the GHB but can’t remember the name let alone find it.
Was that "Bagpipe Music Writer". See https://robertmacneilmusicworks.com/home/ for the current version. (I have no experience with them or BMW.)
It might of been, I would know if I saw it on the screen.

Rob
red342

Post by red342 »

Tunborough wrote:Are you looking for a music notation program, with which to write down your own compositions? I've used Noteworthy Composer for writing down and playing back music; there are many others. Or are you looking for a program that generates the composition? (I don't know any of those.)
Yes I’m looking to compose my own, play back, make adjustments etc...

Rob
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For uilleann pipes I think you would want an ordinary music writing program, one used for orchestral instruments etc.

A program designed for the Highland pipes wouldn't be suitable for a number of reasons.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

There was a programme called ‘Celtic Pipes’ that would allow you to write music for highland pipes, drums and whistle.
I believe it’s still available and used to offer a free trial for about 30 days.
Can’t remember how much it was for the full programme but I thought it was reasonably priced when it first came out.

Try this link https://www.celticpipes.com
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

red342 wrote:
Tunborough wrote:Are you looking for a music notation program, with which to write down your own compositions? I've used Noteworthy Composer for writing down and playing back music; there are many others. Or are you looking for a program that generates the composition? (I don't know any of those.)

Rob
Have you checked out the link in my original post for music notation programs? There is quite a list. MuseScore is free, and looks worth a try.
red342

Post by red342 »

iain beag wrote:There was a programme called ‘Celtic Pipes’ that would allow you to write music for highland pipes, drums and whistle.
I believe it’s still available and used to offer a free trial for about 30 days.
Can’t remember how much it was for the full programme but I thought it was reasonably priced when it first came out.

Try this link https://www.celticpipes.com

I actually just downloaded this and am using it at the moment to try the free trial. Seems to be what im looking for, while there is no playback with the uilleann pipes, there is for a whistle and flute that may work.

Thanks!
red342

Post by red342 »

Tunborough wrote:
red342 wrote:

Rob
Have you checked out the link in my original post for music notation programs? There is quite a list. MuseScore is free, and looks worth a try.

Yes I took a look at what you sent and I thank you for that. It is actually what led me to the celticpipes.com program. Thanks!