In memoriam: Pat McNulty

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RenaissanceGuy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

In memoriam: Pat McNulty

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

The renowned Pat McNulty of Glasgow passed away last month.
Here's an article by Paddy Callaghan, the Scottish Region Development Officer for Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann:
https://www.theirishvoice.com/uncategor ... al-legacy/

From the article:
"Pat, for a very long time, would have been considered the only Uilleann Piper to live within the city, never mind the best, but his love for the instrument and indeed his efforts to preserve it, and Irish music more generally, have left a lasting legacy in the city."

Also from the article:
"Few people could lay claim to even half of what Pat achieved over his lifetime. As a musician whose name will forever be intrinsically linked to the now booming traditional Irish music scene in Glasgow, his legacy is absolutely safe. He was the first Uilleann Piper to ever play in a concert orchestra appearing in the BBC Proms in 1969 and his All-Ireland success of 1958 will forever mark the annals of history, and of course his pipes will continue to make music for generations to come."
RenaissanceGuy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: In memoriam: Pat McNulty

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

There is also a write-up in the latest An Piobaire which arrived the other day (or earlier, depending on where you live).