RIP Hans-Jörg Podworny

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

RIP Hans-Jörg Podworny

Post by MichaelLoos »

Dear Friends,
unfortunately I have to spread the sad news that our friend Hans-Jörg Podworny has passed on last Sunday.
He was well known in this forum for his profound knowledge of piping and pipemaking.
Also, in his times of better health, he was a devoted piper and pipemaker as well.
Keep him in your memory – he was a man well deserving to be remembered!
RIP Hans-Jörg!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: RIP Hans-Jörg Podworny

Post by rorybbellows »

Thanks for passing on the sad news, Michael. He'll be missed on the forum for his intelligent insightful contributions. Condolences to his family and loved ones

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sad, sad news. RIP, Hans-Jörg.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Sad news. I only knew him through the forum but Hans-Jörg seemed like a patient and kind person. God give him rest.
PJ
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Hans-Jörg was a giant and pivotal for the German piping community. Already an accomplished folk musician, he spend some of his teacher years in Ireland and decided to become a piper and pipemaker. He co- founded the German Piper's club and was, along with Andreas Rogge and Tom Kannmacher, the man to supply sets, reeds and advice. Unfortunately, his career as player and maker came to a grinding halt in the mid-90s, when a brain infection confined him to a wheel chair, having to relearn to talk and to move from point zero. His brilliant mind, though, remained untouched, and this is what most will remember with biggest affection and gratitude. Despite his cruel fate, he remained a life-embracing spirit, always eager to learn more, explore, get to know people and crack a joke. He had - untypical for our surly brew - a phenomenal memory for people and was always encouraging to noobs and youngsters. He couldn't play in public anymore, but he reorganised his workshop, build reeds, acquired and worked on vintage instruments and became an expert in older pipes and a source of knowledge and inspiration to many of us. I am safe to say that the German Irish music scene has lost one of its center characters. He will always be remembered as a friend and one of the best of them all. Farewell, dirty ol' b..rd, "break a reg" and have fun at the everlasting session up there.
Christian
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Oh that is such sad news.

Like many of us I counted Hans-Jörg among my friends, in fact a friend of my wife Gabi and her musical circle in Germany.

Rest in peace.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Very sorry to hear this. R.I.P. Hans-Jörg. I first had contact with Hans-Jörg via the uilleann list, back in the day so to say. My condolences to Hans-Jörg's family and friends
u.piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by u.piper »

Very sad news indeed!

Hans-Jörg and I once were amused about that song from Mark Knopfler:

When I leave this world behind me
To another I will go
And if there are no pipes in heaven
I'll be going down below
If friends in time be severed
Someday we will meet again
I'll return to leave you never
Be a piper to the end

Sometimes I wonder, if those words could have been exspecially written for him and his lovely humour and character.

So long Hans-Jörg!
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

u.piper wrote:Very sad news indeed!

Hans-Jörg and I once were amused about that song from Mark Knopfler:

When I leave this world behind me
To another I will go
And if there are no pipes in heaven
I'll be going down below
If friends in time be severed
Someday we will meet again
I'll return to leave you never
Be a piper to the end

Sometimes I wonder, if those words could have been exspecially written for him and his lovely humour and character.

So long Hans-Jörg!

<3

Can´t think of a better farewell.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

The portion of his legacy that he has entrusted to Chiff and Fipple can be found here: http://staging.forums.chiffandfipple.co ... 0&sr=posts.

Thank you for all of it, good sir. Wherever you might be now, may you find music and good cheer.