Baritone drone with puck

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
zone1987
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I come from and live in Poland. I play uilleann pipes. I make Polish, Slovak and Hungarian bagpipes. Member of the NPU community.

Baritone drone with puck

Post by zone1987 »

Hi! I am looking for baritone drone measurements in a bass drone style. With a puck. If someone has and wants to share, I'll be happy. :party:
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Baritone drone with puck

Post by rorybbellows »

I've only ever seen them in photos, just wondering how successful they are as I don't think any maker's are making them now.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
JR

Post by JR »

I know Patrick Hennelly made a few sets with extra baritone and tenor drone pucks. They were dummy pucks with the air escaping off in a side vent instead.

Leo & Willie Rowsome, Coyne, Egan, O'Mealy all attempted sets with two pucks, albeit apparently once each.

Perhaps there is a reason for this.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Sean Seery's Leo Rowsome set.

Out of curiosity, is this set being played by anyone currently?
PJ
zone1987
Tell us something.: I come from and live in Poland. I play uilleann pipes. I make Polish, Slovak and Hungarian bagpipes. Member of the NPU community.

Post by zone1987 »

JR wrote:I know Patrick Hennelly made a few sets with extra baritone and tenor drone pucks. They were dummy pucks with the air escaping off in a side vent instead.

Leo & Willie Rowsome, Coyne, Egan, O'Mealy all attempted sets with two pucks, albeit apparently once each.

Perhaps there is a reason for this.
I was also thinking to make a dummy. But overall I'm very impressed with the Sean Seery's Leo Rowsome set. And this is not a dummy! I know it's hard to balance on this baritone drone. That's why I decided to ask because I am doing a "metal set" for myself and I can have fun.
zone1987

Post by zone1987 »

PJ wrote:Sean Seery's Leo Rowsome set.

Out of curiosity, is this set being played by anyone currently?

I love this set. Metal pipes are my dream bagpipes. I like using a lot of metal. I have reasons for this. In my country, in my region, it is difficult to control wood due to large fluctuations in atmospheric pressure and humidity. (30-70%). So the use of metal or wood in metal minimizes the effects of the variable aura.
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Leo Rowsome made at least two sets like this - there's a well known photo of him, Clancy, Seery, and Leon Rowsome, where Seery and Leons sets are shown
both with this feature.

So one suspects it was an "ultra" variation given the additional work required. Question is, how does it sound?

M
zone1987

Post by zone1987 »

m4malious wrote:Leo Rowsome made at least two sets like this - there's a well known photo of him, Clancy, Seery, and Leon Rowsome, where Seery and Leons sets are shown
both with this feature.

So one suspects it was an "ultra" variation given the additional work required. Question is, how does it sound?

M
We'll see how it sounds. I got some measurements. Here are most of them:

The first section of the baritone drone is 257 mm long (probably meant to be 10 inches), and the bore is 4.7 mm (3/16 ”). The reed tenon length is 42 mm, the slide tenon is 81.5 mm, wrapped to 12.7 (1/2 ”). I hope that all makes sense; these are the important measurements of the first section. The slide socket is 85x13 mm, in other words a 1/2 ”socket, about 3.375” deep. The bore of this slide (the wooden part, that is) is 1/4 ”inside diameter (6.35 mm). Then there is the “H” -shaped nickel silver section. The inside diameter of that part is a little smaller, around 6.15 mm. The metal “can” or puck measures 40 mm x 17.9 mm. The 6 mm ID may be a little bit small, but you can probably compensate for that. The exit hole is also important: it’s 5.38 mm diameter. The whole “H” shape is 101 mm long, but of course part of this is inserted inside the wooden section. I think my notes say the wooden section is 188 mm long (this includes the 1/2 "x3.375" socket).
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Seems like the Seery set is in a private collection. Paddy Maloney's perhaps? Here's the set being played, sounds fine, great Rowsome tone. Who is the piper playing here?: http://pipers.ie/source/media/?searchTe ... iaId=24252
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks Mark Priestley. The piper is Séan Seery himself of course. I didn't read the caption under the video.