Bass Regulator

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kdoyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper and have been playing for a few years now. I have visited the site on a number of occasions to get information on a variety of topics. I have a few comments/questions I'd like to add to the forums. Thanks.

Bass Regulator

Post by Kdoyler »

Is there any sound difference between a curled or straight bass regulator? If not, besides the ease of transport, are there any other differences? Or do the two styles come down to personal preference when playing?

Thanks for the help. Please direct if you know of another thread dealing with this question.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: Bass Regulator

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

There shouldn't be any difference in the sound. If the upper bar is straight instead of folded down to run along mainstock, then you have to get accustomed to having it on top of the arm of your upper chanter hand, and somewhat limiting how much you can move or position that arm. Joey Abarta has the folded kind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDrZladP8mk

If you want the straight kind but compactness is an issue for transport, some pipemakers do a removable bass regulator.
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Re: Bass Regulator

Post by fgibbons »

I'm actually looking to buy a bass regulator in D, preferably that folded shape (but not necessarily). I already have a tenor and bari from Koehler, so I'm looking for something to match that from an acoustic perspective, even if not literally from Benedict's hands or those of his partner-in-cane, David Quinn.

My set is already a half-breed (blackwood/steel plus rosewood/brass), so I'm not too worried about visual aesthetics, but the acoustics have to be right.

Please PM me if we have something to discuss...