Bass Regulator double toning

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Madpiper13
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bass Regulator double toning

Post by Madpiper13 »

Hi,

I’m just getting started playing my regulators, and looking for some setup help. My bass is requiring substantially more pressure than tenor & baritone, and the bass jumps the octave when it does come in. What adjustment to the reed is required? They are bronze reeds.
Píobaire Déiseach
Tell us something.: I want to learn more about some instruments. I also have one or two instruments which I am thinking of selling and might find a buyer through this.

Re: Bass Regulator double toning

Post by Píobaire Déiseach »

I'm not really familiar with bronze reeds but is there some sort of bridle on it? If there was I'd suggest trying to close the lips ever so slightly which might bring the pressure closer to the tenor and baritone. The extra pressure could be causing it to jump the octave. Or if there's too much material on the rush to tune the regulator. Does it jump on all or most of the notes or just one? Closing the lips could make it jump more but worth a try! Easily reversible!
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: Bass Regulator double toning

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Is the set by Seth Gallagher? He is no longer active in pipemaking, but his site has a little information on the bronze regulator reeds: Link here