Drone stock placement on the bag

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Drone stock placement on the bag

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Greetings, fellow ulcerative pipers!

(Damn you, autocorrect!)

I hope you're all enjoying your piping in the midst of all our varied crises lately.
I haven't been active on the forum much lately, but I figured the time has once again come to consult the uilleann hivemind.

I've played uilleann pipes on and off for 20 years now. When I got my drones from Cillian Ó Briain 19 years ago, he tied the stock into one of his bags quite high on the bag. Looking at other pipers who play his sets, this doesn't seem uncommon. When I got a new bag from Brad Angus about four years ago, I had him follow Cillian's pattern and stock placement (against his protestations) as I figured I should just stick to the devil I knew. Truth be told, I've never been entirely satisfied with this setup. I often wish the neck were a couple of inches longer, I often feel like my bag shoulder is hitched up uncomfortably, and consistently reaching the highest and lowest rows on the regs often requires bizarre contortions that some might consider to be unnatural.

After watching the Paddy Keenan doc on TG4 the other night, I got to thinking about all this again, and I think I'm ready to try something different. I was thinking of buying one of the Kelleher Trad standard bags and tying the drone stock in a bit lower on the bag. I realize this may not be something you instantly remember off the top of your head, but for anyone out there who happens to have been in a similar predicament, I'd be curious to know where you cut the stock holes on your bag when you made the switch.
I'm about 5'8" and 150 lbs FWIW.

Any advice, incantations, and _restrained_ slagging would be much appreciated.
m4malious
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Drone stock placement on the bag

Post by m4malious »

A suggestion - make (learn how, if necessary) vinyl bags to experiment with stock positions on.
Cutting a new leather bag only to find out the hole position is not right is $$$ learning...
M