Peter Browne's Set in ITMA Highlights Video

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Bellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Peter Browne's Set in ITMA Highlights Video

Post by Bellows »

Hans-Joerg wrote:Hi Bellows,
could you possibly post a close-up foto of ornamentation-rings? I think while the "design" might change in the course of a pipemaker´s life, they might change less frequently. Their depth, distance, shape, sequel are a bit comparable to fingerprints. Even if they will not make an identyfication sure, they might help to rule things out.
I can do that indeed
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

Hans-Joerg wrote:Hi Bellows,
could you possibly post a close-up foto of ornamentation-rings? I think while the "design" might change in the course of a pipemaker´s life, they might change less frequently. Their depth, distance, shape, sequel are a bit comparable to fingerprints. Even if they will not make an identyfication sure, they might help to rule things out.
Just to clarify that you mean incised double rings etc. that would be common at ends of drones and regulators just above ivory/walrus tusk mounts?
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

I meant those rings on the brass ferrules - if there are any ferrules at all. If not - wood or trims of course would also do.
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

What are people using nowadays for image storage? Do I still need to use a third party storage service to display images on the forum?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I use https://postimages.org/ and yes.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

Image Image

Image Image
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

Image Image

Image Image
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

Sorry for the double posting there but I'm just getting used to posting images on forums again. It's been a while. So there's some of the detail. The knurling, incised ivory decorations on the baritone drone and double incised rings were most notably comparable to Coyne's work when Ronan Browne visited me to compare design features from his image archive having worked photographing old sets.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi Bellows,
this seems to be the set in question?

https://ibb.co/RvcVQ9N
https://ibb.co/FKNN2xd

Mr. Gumby - did you take these fotos?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Mr. Gumby - did you take these fotos?
I didn't
My brain hurts

Hans-Joerg

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Oh-BTW-just in case - the measurements of my possibly Brogan C#
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

[quote="Hans-Joerg"]Hi Bellows,
this seems to be the set in question?

Well yes, that is of course the set! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Bellows on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

Hans-Joerg wrote:Oh-BTW-just in case - the measurements of my possibly Brogan C#

Thank you for these measurements. I will be measuring the bores in the next few weeks as it is almost time for reeds now.
Bellows

Post by Bellows »

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Here are a few photos I have been taking while working on these. First shot is when I got them. They were covered in dust, tarnish and varnish/wood stain! Someone along the way thought it would be a great idea to slap on a bit of wood stain which was slathered across the keys and all! I removed the mess from the wood and brass and have remounted the keys with fresh pads. There were blobs of ceiling paint here and there which I'm guessing had dripped whenever the pub ceiling was getting a bit of a refresh. I'm waiting on some cleaning cloths to finish cleaning up the brass bits a bit more. There were reeds in the drones that I managed to get working and also in the regs. The tenor reg reed was cracked but the middle and bass were sounding so I did a bit of a quick test and they are playing close to in tune so I will be making copies of these reeds to start off with. No chanter reed present with the set unfortunately. The tenor drone slide seems to be a replacement of a different maker's work and the middle reg also seems to be a replacement of a different maker's work.
Hans-Joerg

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Here are my (few apt) Coyne-closeups.
Problem: I rember (vagely) having read somewhere (possibly in an article by Sean Donnelly), that there seem to have been 3 Coynes. Maurice seems to be the most "prominent" and then there was John William and ... Does someone know by chance the name of the third? There is a "fairly high number" of different Coynes.
Next Problem (especially mine):I like fotos of vintage sets and just collect them and don´t know nutten´ about them: Neither the background of the sets, the current owner, or even the maker of the foto.E. g. I filed ~90 pics just under "Coyne" and mostly even don´t know wich Coyne.
Next: In many cases parts were replaced or worse even: Only parts of a set actually are Coyne.

Anyway - there are a good few Coyne-similiarities but I see even more Brogan similiariries - especially the "double rings" at the end of the wooden pieces of the drones. I could not find them on any of my Coyne pics but on Peter Browne´s Brogan (BTW - Neilidh Mulligan has a Brogan, too). I would agree with Bellows.