Younger pipers playing Furey/Mcsherry/Spillane style?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tanash369
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Younger pipers playing Furey/Mcsherry/Spillane style?

Post by tanash369 »

Hello, I'm looking for some names of younger pipers who can very closely emulate the playing of Finbar Furey, John Mcsherry and Davy Spillane.

THANK YOU.
john

Re: Younger pipers playing Furey/Mcsherry/Spillane style?

Post by john »

Finbar has a son Martin who is an exceptional piper but it's hard to find recordings of him. I suppose he counts as being of necessity younger than Finbar albeit he's well into his 40s. I bring him up because for such a fine piper I don't think his playing is well-known. I can't remember how close his own playing is to Finbar's in style.

Perhaps others can name young pipers being taught by McSherry and Blackie O'Connell and others of that ilk.
CrushHarrington
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m a uilleann piper and whistle player from Wexford and am interested in all things uilleann pipes. I prefer the more open style of piping like the pipers of Wexford of old.

Post by CrushHarrington »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

John McSherry - Jamie Murphy, Finnian O'Connor
Finbar - Nobody off the top of my head
Davy Spillane - Many. Many of whom are influenced by Keenan also: Brian Mac Aodha, Tom Delany, Loic Blejean, Yoann An Nedeleg, Ronan Le Bars, Sylvain Barou, Stijn van Beek, Heikki Kylkisalo, Chris McMullan, Simon Pfisterer and more I can't think of right now
tanash369
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tanash369 »

CrushHarrington wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 am John McSherry - Jamie Murphy, Finnian O'Connor
Finbar - Nobody off the top of my head
Davy Spillane - Many. Many of whom are influenced by Keenan also: Brian Mac Aodha, Tom Delany, Loic Blejean, Yoann An Nedeleg, Ronan Le Bars, Sylvain Barou, Stijn van Beek, Heikki Kylkisalo, Chris McMullan, Simon Pfisterer and more I can't think of right now
Thanks for the input, I forgot this already - it's nice to see so many names, mybe I'll buy few new CDs now :)

I can't help but wonder why NPU didn't yet make the "Piper's Choice" DVDs with these three mighty pipers. I would buy them in a second and pay double.