Another Alain Froment D set on Ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

irishduffy wrote:Calm Down Joseph Ben is the one who gets to write in large font. :lol:

....sorry....

Say, IDuff, where've you been? Haven't seen you around in a tick's age.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
irishduffy wrote:Calm Down Joseph Ben is the one who gets to write in large font. :lol:

....sorry....

Say, IDuff, where've you been? Haven't seen you around in a tick's age.
Well first off I accept your ..apology.. :lol: About the whole tick's age, the answer would be college. Just have not had the time until winter break here to be on line much, yet I was still reading many of the post. Glad to be back though. :)
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Out of interest,if someone loses money on EBay thru a scam,does the buyer get his/her money back frae EBay??
Liam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Uilliam wrote:Out of interest,if someone loses money on EBay thru a scam,does the buyer get his/her money back frae EBay??
Liam
Ebay's policy

Under the eBay Fraud Protection Program, most items on eBay are covered for up to $200 (minus $25 to cover processing costs). Please note: the maximum reimbursement for any claim is $175. For example:

If the item price is $500, you are eligible to receive $175;
If the item price is $100, you are eligible to receive $75;
If the item price is $26, you are eligible to receive $1.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

It is always best to pay via paypal using a credit card. At least there is some protection for the buyer.
The scammer usually won't take paypal and insists on cash transfers or something not traceable.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Now this hacker has adopted the username 'missip 17' and has listed this set of pipes 8 more times all with a 3 day sale. Positive feedback 38 @100%.

What's taking eBay so long to catch on?

Click here to see all 8 new listings Search Uilleann
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Fraud in General & Ebay in Particular

Post by Mike Hulme »

I have been following this thread with interest, as it mirrors similar matters on other musical instrument forums. The spurious sellers actually use the Ebay system to fleece people. An example:

I listed a nice 'cello on Ebay some months back. It sold readily, and the buyer contacted me to say that he had been offered an identical cello for half the price - Buy It Now - payment only via Western Union. Needless to say it was my 'cello, with the photos lifted from my website. I reported it to Ebay. Over the next two weeks I received emails from the underbidders saying that they had received exactly the same offers...

So how do they use the system? Quite simple; just put a watch on the item you want to fleece people with, and just before the end of the auction print out the bidders' details. After the auction contact them... simple as that. Only the original seller has user ID details if the item sells, so that is how they get the details.

Another example; another cello, sold by me with a Buy It Now option - no bids allowed - postage to United Kingdom only - no bids allowed from Indonesia. Bought immediately - by Onypra, registed Ebay address Djakarta, Belfast! Obviously I did not send the 'cello, but Ebay still charged me a final value fee which took a month to get credited back to me. In the meantime the "buyer" wanted to pay by credit card, but as he was working on an offshore oil rig he wondered whether I had a business account to take cc payments. Could one of our Irish members find out how many oil rigs are in Bantry Bay or Derry Quay?

I think the bottom line is this; if you are buying anything, whatever the price, pay by VISA. They will reimburse you for fraudulent transactions. I am not sure what the situation is if you pay by VISA through PayPal.

Legally, an auction house has a duty of care to both buyer and seller, in the UK this is part of the Law of Contracts, and you have some redress against the house. Before the advent of the Internet this had mainly been applied to stolen goods offered at auction, but we are now getting into very muddy International waters.

The old maxim "Caveat Emptor" is a well worn phrase, but it should still be borne in mind.

Have a nice New Year - I have an Uilleann Pipe gig for Hogmanay for a bunch of Freemasons tomorrow night. I am off to roll up my trouser leg. Wish me Luck!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

This one (out of the 7 new listings) is a one day auction only, 5½ hrs left, and no reserve. $170.50 with 5 bidders, actual names, no private auction on this one. Someone had better warn them, unless of course it's their henchman...you don't want them to get acquainted with your eBay username or you'll be next!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 02087&rd=1
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I have contacted some of the bidders . I have had one reply from a genuine bidder who was grateful for the tip off.
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
GalegoMan wrote:Silly thing??
There are some people placing bids to get those virtual pipes!
...and ridiculous and sad. Silly, because of the huge amount of listings for this set, ridiculous for the same reason, and sad BECAUSE people are still bidding on them. :D
Dear Joseph:

Seeing the worry that's causing the risk of fraud in the ebay habitual buyers, you can see that the discussion continues open. Not all the people who buys in ebay is member of this forum and they are not aware of the swindle. And that for lack of an hour to close the sale, there is 5 "sad" users biding on a nonexistent bagpipes (I expect that the buyers be the own seller and his friend, it's possible).
Although you are right in something: one must be a little out of tune to believe that you can buy one of the 18 copies of a Froment UP for less than 200 $!! :lol: :boggle: :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR :party:
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
Joseph E. Smith

GalegoMan wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
GalegoMan wrote:Silly thing??
There are some people placing bids to get those virtual pipes!
...and ridiculous and sad. Silly, because of the huge amount of listings for this set, ridiculous for the same reason, and sad BECAUSE people are still bidding on them. :D
Dear Joseph:

Seeing the worry that's causing the risk of fraud in the ebay habitual buyers, you can see that the discussion continues open. Not all the people who buys in ebay is member of this forum and they are aware of the swindle. And that for lack of an hour to close the sale, there is 5 "sad" users biding on a nonexistent bagpipes.
Although you are right in something: one must be a little out of tune to believe that you can buy one of the 18 copies of a Froment UP for less than 200 $!! :lol: :boggle: :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR :party:
Yes, these people ought to thoroughly check out the items they bid on prior to bidding or paying for them. And while I feel bad for them, the words CAVEAT EMPTOR remind me of a few other words I have also heard before: '...there's a sucker born every minute'. -P.T Barnum
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

Yes, it's true! :wink:
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

THEY HAVE BEEN WARNED...... BY ME!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL! I'M OFF FOR A WHILE
Joseph E. Smith

benwalker wrote:THEY HAVE BEEN WARNED...... BY ME!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL! I'M OFF FOR A WHILE
The same to you. :)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I see the fraud auctions have all been invalidated by eBay.