Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

Hi David (ausdag)

Very glad to hear the problem seems to be going away. Take it slow though. You are lucky to find a competent chiropractor. They seem to be few and far between.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brian Lee wrote:All the u. pipers I've seen or gotten any instruction from have used the second pad on the top two fingers. It looks like it tends to lay the fingers a bit flatter against the chanter - less arch in the hand. They're also tilted downward at a slight angle, not perpendicular to the chanter itself. Don't know if there is a bonafide 'right or wrong' though.
Another thing that I am forced to deal with currently, is my size. If I were thinner, I am certain that my grip would be different. As it is I have a bit of a reach while keeping the drones in my lap. I know, excuses...excuses. :D
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Is the stock tied in at a spot designed for you Joeseph? I would think that could cause some difficulty if not. I still need to trim down my bellows tube a bit for me I think. Interesting how an inch or two one way or the other can make a big difference in playing ease. Best-
Joseph E. Smith

I tied the stock in a place where I felt it to provide maximum comfort and accessability of the chanter. It works nicely for me, allowing me to sit more upright. I have had a number of spinal surgeries that have limited my posture and range of flexibility...that, and living with chronic back pain prevents me from being positioned any different than I already am. A word of advice for all you younger pipers out there: never, ever, ever jump your bicycles off of school buildings during your formative years...or at any other time in your life for that matter! :D
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:The two top toneholes are normally covered with the middle of the finger, between the first and second joints. The third finger will likely be covered within the first joint, but nearer to the joint than to the tip of the finger.
...hmmmmmm. Usually, it is the first joint of the upper two fingers which I use (contrary to the photo above)...it is comfortable, works fine and doesn't interfere with playing. Not sure if I need to change...whaddya think?
Contrary to the photo above? But you are using the finger pads within the first joints...the area between the end of the finger and the first joint. The top hand fingers should look more like your lower hand fingers...slightly curled and relaxed, not buckle backwards at any of the joints.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

I too have large hands, hrm comparing to the ruler mine are very large and with long slender fingers. My long middle finger was flexed the way the above picture shows. This was commented by Brian McNamara in 2002 and I have been trying to change this eversince. Today I play with less strain and relaxed fingers. This due to the change in holding the "stick". Try to change...you would get a lot of squeeks and get disappointed at first but your playing will improve, guaranteed.
I had been playing for almost 2 years when I made the change.
Joseph E. Smith

Lorenzo wrote:Contrary to the photo above?
Yes, usually the actual joint itself is over the hole.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Something you don't hear every day:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Yes, usually the actual joint itself is over the hole.
Just thought I'd share :shock:

Patrick.
Joseph E. Smith

:lol: :oops: :lol:
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Thems sure is big hands, Joseph. I thought I had bigguns but you've got a good 1/2" or more on me.

Your finger position doesn't seem to have affected your playing, does it? I don't think anyone would have guessed anything different from those clips you posted. Did you finger you GHB chanters the same? Does it hinder you playing fast?

As a newbie who has never had to bother before, the straight finger, middle joints, only 2 finger tips stuff is a constant challenge - I'm sure you all remember... I was wondering if the Cillian O'Briein style chanters with the finger scoops were more ergonomic to play - opinions????

I find that my calloused middle pads (I'm a roughy-toughy kinda guy!) are amazingly insensitive and I can't feel the holes. I find I can wander off correct position as I'm playing and not really notice, Then I take several moments to find 'home' again to stop the air and squeaks. Just a case of more practice, right?

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Joseph E. Smith

Jay-eye wrote:Your finger position doesn't seem to have affected your playing, does it? I don't think anyone would have guessed anything different from those clips you posted. Did you finger you GHB chanters the same? Does it hinder you playing fast?
To the best of my knowledge, no, speed isn't affected....but I am still very much a hack at playing these things. I am going to put some time into working out a way to use the top hand fingers in the manner suggested above....though I have a hunch the result will be much the same as when changing one's golfing grip...what used to be a good swing goes straight to hell, directly to hell, does not pass GO, does not collect $200......at least for a while. :D
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Like any instrument, j.i. , the placement of fingers is like you said it, something that comes with lots of practice and getting that motor memory in place. I had the same problem when I started every instrument I play now, and with time my fingers remembered where to go.

As for the scalloped chanters, there are other threads that discuss the upsides and definite downsides (like making tuning the chanter a pain in the arse) of scalloped finger holes.

Hope this helps.

-Mike
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Contrary to the photo above? But you are using the finger pads within the first joints...the area between the end of the finger and the first joint. The top hand fingers should look more like your lower hand fingers...slightly curled and relaxed, not buckle backwards at any of the joints.[/quote]

Also, your bottom hand is perpendicular to the chanter. You might angle it so that all fingers (top and bottom) hand are more in alignment.
Joseph E. Smith

Jim McGuire wrote:Also, your bottom hand is perpendicular to the chanter. You might angle it so that all fingers (top and bottom) hand are more in alignment.
...seems I've got some work cut out for me. Thanks for the suggestions all. :)
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

MikeyLikesIt wrote:Like any instrument, j.i. , the placement of fingers is like you said it, something that comes with lots of practice and getting that motor memory in place. I had the same problem when I started every instrument I play now, and with time my fingers remembered where to go.

As for the scalloped chanters, there are other threads that discuss the upsides and definite downsides (like making tuning the chanter a pain in the arse) of scalloped finger holes.

Hope this helps.

-Mike
I agree Mike, but I think flute finger placement (for example) is made easier by using a sensitive part of the finger and you microadjust by feel. Same playing a stringed instrument, you can feel when you're wrong. I'm having trouble feeling where my fingers are going.

Having said that I'm already playing with hands lot more relaxed so it's coming with practice. Either that or I need to use more hand cream!

I found some threads about scallops thanks. Most interesting.

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.