Ups Case Question for those with 1/2 sets

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Foam: The bumpy stuff is often called "egg carton foam", if you're calling around shops looking for it.

As for this other business, well, if guns were outlawed.... only outlaws would accidentally shoot their children.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

glands wrote:The ability to defend, with firearms, ones life and right to property and the pursuit of happiness is an important freedom
My Eugene Lambe wooden case has served me well. Now that I've said my on topic piece.....here in Australia, if a burglar injures him or herself breaking into our house, we can be sued and found to be in the wrong. It's happened. So we have to think twice before reaching for the kitchen knife or cricket bat.

Back on topic - it's made of wood and Eugene Lambe made it. It's handle is what I hold it with.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Sounds like Ireland... probably England too.

I had one of those cases with my Lambe set. It served me very well. The handle was rediculously uncomfortable though. It was just a strip of spring steel with very thin leather sewn around it. At Willie Week one year, a few millennia ago, I was staying out at the Four Crosses and was walking with the case a lot. I made the decision that I wanted to keep all my fingers so I bought a nice pink face cloth for protection. Worked grand. I then ripped the thing off and bought an all purpose handle at the local DIY place. It's still on the case as far as I know wherever it is. I really liked that case though. I made a foam insert for it which I cut out sections to fit the various bits, covered it in velvet and hey presto! It was made for Eugene in Enniscorthy as far as I remember. A pipemakers time is better spent making pipes me thinks. The case had that battered instrument case look about it which I liked. God help you if it was dropped though... it would have shattered into several pieces. I had to add the occassional screw to it so it wouldn't fall assunder. I now have a Savage & Hoy case which is really a great strong light case. I had them line the entire inside with foam so it's a bit more protective than their regular model... WAY lighter than the wooden coffin. I also have a PRO-TECH viola case which is good if you are carrying loads of paper and whistles and that sort of thing too. Plenty of extra room, and cheap too! It's come up here a good few times http://www.ptcases.com/items.asp?Produc ... umentID=41

Happy Christmas to all,

Patrick.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

A "blue buttoned bag" is the traditional tote from the 19th century.
I keep my chanters and fiddle bow in a paper trash sack.
I set up a practice set in trade for a 150 year old Hill fiddle case, perhaps I could stick the pipes in there...one old piper, Billy Andrews, kept his Coyne set in an "old timber fiddle case, of standard size and shape."
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The egg carton foam is also excellent for sound-proofing.

On the whole guns/knives question, a friend of mine maintains that the IRA never used the uilleann pipes to their full potential during the Struggle. :wink:
PJ
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

PJ wrote:
Jim wrote:I cut out foam to make a better fit for the chanter, bellows, bag and main stock.
I'm trying to find suitable foam to put into my case to keep the drones and chanter from moving too much when I carry the case. I've only seen medium density seat-cushion foam in upholstery shops and that's frightfully expensive - $60 for a piece big enough to fit into my case. I've checked tool shops and hardware stores but they don't seem to stock it.

I'm looking for something with the following measurements (give or take):

30"x12"x4"

Can anyone suggest a source, preferrably in Canada?

Do you have anything like JoAnn Fabric stores in Canada? My wife says they have all kinds of foam there.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
anima

Post by anima »

ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:The handle was rediculously uncomfortable though. ... I then ripped the thing off and bought an all purpose handle at the local DIY place.
Eugene must have been enlightened after that because the handle on my case is a general purpose plastic thing which is quite comfy for the first five minutes, but after that it starts to get a bit heavy. I've not put any padding in mine yet. The Pipe bag alone seems to suffice sufficiently (sufficiently suffice??) for protection.

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

PJ,

If you are coming to Toronto for the Langan Weekend there's a shop here on the Danfroth that sells nothing but foam. That's what I love about cities. If you look hard enough you'll find anything in vast quantities.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Anybody know where i can get a pipework case for a set of knives?

Now what was the name of that FAQing forum?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

gregorygraham wrote:PJ,

If you are coming to Toronto for the Langan Weekend there's a shop here on the Danfroth that sells nothing but foam. That's what I love about cities. If you look hard enough you'll find anything in vast quantities.
I won't be able to make CLW this year but I might know people going. Do you have the name of the shop?
PJ
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

pj,

I believe this is the place.

Foamite Industries Inc
416-463-9880
1494 Danforth Avenue,
Toronto, ON M4J 1N4

Sorry you can't make it for the Weekend.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
PJ

Post by PJ »

Gregory,

Thanks for the information.

I'd have liked to gone to CLW this year, especially now that it's in late spring. However, the budget won't permit. It'll have to be next year.

Cheers,
PJ