Wooff set for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Thanks. I'm not thinking of buying the set, but I was thinking that the small chanter bore might be what is hindering the sale, but not sure why if Froment D's were small too. I didn't realize Froment D's were Rowsome size. I've heard Rowsome's chanters varied a bit, but were considered large.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

He uses (or used) a copie of a particular Rowsome chanter as a starting point for his chanter design. He has made narrow bore ones on special order. Dave Hegarty has a nice one that I have heard.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Alain's concert chanters are based on several Leo Rowsome chanters but the closest in look and feel is the Leo Rowsome chanter that Kevin Rowsome plays.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Peter Laban wrote:He uses (or used) a copie of a particular Rowsome chanter as a starting point for his chanter design. He has made narrow bore ones on special order. Dave Hegarty has a nice one that I have heard.
Althought Dave plays a Froment set the narrow bore is by Rogge !!

RORY
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

During the early nineties Dave had a narrow bore set made by Alain. He was happy with it. He may have changed chanter since but that doesn't changed what I said above: that Alain made a narrow bore for Dave.

Below he is showing off the new set at the second of two tionols held at the Falls Hotel in Ennistymon.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hello

Dave provided all the measurements and Alain did all the rest. I played the set myself in Miltown and I thought that it was nice (it's hard to make a judgement when you can only play on it for twenty minutes or so).

Cheers

John Moran
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

[quote="Peter Laban"]During the early nineties Dave had a narrow bore set made by Alain. He was happy with it. He may have changed chanter since but that doesn't changed what I said above: that Alain made a narrow bore for Dave.

Around the time that Dave Hegerty approached Alian Froment to build the narrow bore set ,Andreas Rogge was in Ireland and went to visit Alian ,While he was there he was very interested in the measurments that Dave had given to Alian.and asked Alain if he could make the prototype of the chanter which he did .When Alian got back the chanter he was so happy with it that he added mounts keys and the head and this is the chanter Dave has

RORY
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Awwww...That was the sweetest bedtime story I've heard in a while.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Interesting, Dave always said Alain made it and I went by that.

(edited in later:) I was over at Geoff Wooff most of the day, we talked about Dave's chanter and Geoff thought it was a Froment as well, Dave had never mentioned to him either it was anything else than a Froment.
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Orriginaly Posted by Peter Leban
yeah they do that, simple economy, car breaks down, pipes go. I know at least three people who have the personal set' of one particular pipemaker.
sorry about going of on a tangent

That's how I accquired my D Lancewood set. I was on Ian's second hand waiting list and he offered me his pipes. Originaly I was going to aquire Ozpiper' set but fate turned out differently. In the end he aquired Ozpiper' pipes and upgraded it to a full set.

Because it was one of the last D Lancewood sets that he made (of my kind). I'ts probably worth more than I bought it for. The fact that it's owned by Ian for many years probably adds more to the value.

However I don't wont to sell do I :). An excellent set like that you don't get the chance of aquiring all that often :D. Great tone too I might add and the graftmanship is spectacular. The pictures I posted don't really show the true quality of Ian's work.

Cheers L42B ;)
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

I was over at Geoff Wooff most of the day
Ah yeah, sitting around drinkin' tea and chattin.
No wonder he has a 12+ year waiting list!
:D :lol:
Only messin.
I never knew Andreas Rogge had a hand in that chanter either but none the less theres a lovely ring off it.
I know at least three people who have the personal set' of one particular pipemaker.
My drones belonged a to a "personal" half -set by Kevin Thompson. That set was something he hastilly put together for a performance. He was playing with a Celtic orchestra that Donal Lunny assembled around 1986/7 ish, anyone remember that?
tommy
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa

AF

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Was at Alain's home/workshop yesterday. Wish that I had checked this site beforehand as I would have asked him about the chanter. Sorry.