The outrageous cost of pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Hardly a like comparison. Tourism to Ireland has fallen off since 9/11. Even WCSS has noticed the drop in attendees. No wonder the prices have dropped.

A full set is easily 500-600 hours to make, depending on options. A pipemaker may have to store the wood for 5-10 years to make sure it is aged enough for use. What's his time, tools and materials worth? And the more pipes he makes, the better the quality (hopefully), and the more his work is worth. I'm not aware of any improvements to overseas flights to compare.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

djm wrote:Tourism to Ireland has fallen off since 9/11.
Maybe it has fallen but I paid $249 for a rt CHGO-DUB non-stop in November, 1999.

There seems to be pipes at every price point. A set of pipes can take anywhere from 50 - 360 hours. I have not heard how long Alain's 5-reg, 4 drone c# set took but that would be hitting the max.

What's a day at Disneyworld cost for a family and 2 kids?
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

a non stop? how ever did you get off the plane? did they give you a parachute, or did you have to bring your own if you flew coach?
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Last edited by ausdag on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

cost

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Look, lets not kid ourselves. Much of the issue surrounding the cost is about choices we make. Eccept for those of you that are really hungry (but then what the hell are you doing with a PC), most of us who love the pipes are willing to spend for the highest of quality. IMO, the rest of the people are either to young to aford more than a practice set (but eventually you will be able to afford the rest, so just keep on plugging away on the most important element - the chanter), or they just don't have the same passion for the pipes to make the commitment and put their money where their mouth is. Case in point: how many of the people complaining have been to Disney Land/World (as Jim said before), or have a car that isn't the least expensive model, or have a motorcycle, or take a vacation or ski or golf? I am sure the list of interests and hobbies and things that the complainers spend on is as long as my arm. But they don't want to do without any of those things to make the sacrafice: a one-time purchase of a masterly crafted instrument.
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

PJ wrote: A Stradivarius costs a bit more than a quality full set? And the prise for understatement of the year goes to ... Morten.

Do you know how much a Stradivarius costs? You're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars - most musicians who play Stradivarius instruments do not own them. In most cases, the instruments belong to foundations, trusts, museums, etc and are loaned to exceptional musicians.

Is this how it will be for upipers in the future?
Ohh I know! :lol:

The royal danish theatre owns one. It's on permanent loan to a danish fiddler (from the theatre orchestra). Last year he was touring with a danish singer/actor who apparently had a drink too many and smashed the instrument on stage.....

And I think the price level for Stradivari and Guarneri's are ridiculous. I mean 3.5 mill $ for a fiddle? I don't think you'll find a 3.5 mill Coyne or Harrington...... :roll:

/Morten
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

There ARE budget pipes for people on budgets. Just like there are budget pianos, guitars, violins and drums (or whatever you're into!). Do I hear people complaining about the price of a Bösendorfer piano? Never. Why? Because they are among the top 5 pianos on the planet. I don't happen to have $150,000 lying around for on of those. Hell, I don't even have $5,000 to get me a nice mid-range full set - but I will wait until I've saved up enough to purchase a fantastic, breathtaking quality set of uilleann pipes, because they're good enough, they're smart enough and doggonit people like 'em.

Why do I like to give my money away? Because someone worked their fingers to the bone making a work of art. That my friends is worth every stinking nickle. Buy what you can, stop complaining. If I have a reason to complain I do something about it, I don't sit there in my frustration chair.

I personally really like the comment about those who "have" can give something to those who "have not". It is my personal goal to do this, you watch me :-) Currently I am in the "have not" category, but I imagine in three years time I will be commissioning a myriad of sets to be donated to teachers and students. I will ask for your support most likely. So be prepared.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Joseph E. Smith

Re: cost

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa wrote:...IMO, the rest of the people are either to young to aford more than a practice set (but eventually you will be able to afford the rest, so just keep on plugging away on the most important element - the chanter...
I think this statement has come the closest to hitting the nail on the head. The chanter is THE most important component to a set of Uilleann Pipes. By my way of thinking, what one spends on their practice set, in part, reflects the amount of devotion they have toward learning how to play this instrument; and while not impossible, they are far from easy to learn.

But the beauty of it is, you don't HAVE to start out on a full set. As you progress, you can add drones and later if you choose so, regulators. Granted, the initial price of a really good practice set may seem a little high, but think of it more along the lines of an investment... an investment of money, time, heart and soul.

And, as has been stated ad nauseum within this forum, should you come to the conclusion that the Uilleann Pipes are not for you, your expensive set can be sold for what you paid (or more depending on the maker) for it in the first place.... an investment.
ausdag

Re: cost

Post by ausdag »

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa wrote:Look, lets not kid ourselves. Much of the issue surrounding the cost is about choices we make. Eccept for those of you that are really hungry (but then what the hell are you doing with a PC), most of us who love the pipes are willing to spend for the highest of quality. IMO, the rest of the people are either to young to aford more than a practice set (but eventually you will be able to afford the rest, so just keep on plugging away on the most important element - the chanter), or they just don't have the same passion for the pipes to make the commitment and put their money where their mouth is. Case in point: how many of the people complaining have been to Disney Land/World (as Jim said before), or have a car that isn't the least expensive model, or have a motorcycle, or take a vacation or ski or golf? I am sure the list of interests and hobbies and things that the complainers spend on is as long as my arm. But they don't want to do without any of those things to make the sacrafice: a one-time purchase of a masterly crafted instrument.
Speak for yourself...life's not that simple and can't be categorised that easily. That fact that I am 35, have been piping for 10 +years on a half set that cost A$1500 and that I have to prioritise my spending in order to make ends meet, including trying to maintain a dinosaur PC for work and study purposes, DOES NOT mean I don't have the same passion for the pipes to make the commitment and put their money where my mouth is.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Davey

2 cents or more....

Post by Davey »

I've been following this thread with something akin to "wry amusement". It's ironic that I've gone from one underpaid and undervalued career to another. I was a teacher for many years and always found it frustrating to listen to people who have never taught etc. complain that teachers are to blame for all their kid troubles and they are overpaid and get too much vacation time..I mean C'MON, they have their summers OFF! Right? My wife is a daycare provider, and at the end of the year when we figure out what she made "per hour" for all the time she put's in..she makes nearly $2.50 per hour...no healthcare included.

So, I've not taken offense to anything said..er typed, but I would like to offer a different perspective, or maybe just behave as the devil's advocate.

Alright. If pipes are too expensive, how much SHOULD they cost? Let's take a chanter. What's it worth to you as a customer?

Let's go with a simple D chanter made from african blackwood, brass top, im. ivory mounts. So...how much SHOULD it be priced at? I mean, really...how do you take into account the years of study and experimentation, the equipment, the vast array of supplies, the TIME involved.?

David Quinn had it right when he said that pipemakers are really people who have no other choice..they are so obsessessed and driven to make these instruments, nothing else will do.

Stradavarious aside, I've seen Cello Bows sell for more than a full set of Wooff's.
Dave>

Post by Dave> »

I had a dream once that I found a full set of Uilleann pipes in the pink Barbie section at a local super store. The box they were in had a clear plastic window for looking at the regulator keys. You could get a Barbie (with accessories), a miniature guitar and UP’s all on one isle. I was glad to wake up from that one….
djm

Post by djm »

Which Barbie did you end up getting? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Dave> wrote:I had a dream once that I found a full set of Uilleann pipes in the pink Barbie section at a local super store. The box they were in had a clear plastic window for looking at the regulator keys. You could get a Barbie (with accessories), a miniature guitar and UP’s all on one isle. I was glad to wake up from that one….
No way! Me too! :o

Judge.
Dave>

Post by Dave> »

GHB Barbie. She came with a kilt.