FULL SET OF "D" PIPES BY GINSBERG - eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

I think Hevia, Parrado & Aragon lists their practise set* for 1200 Euro (add 65 and 80 Euros repsectively for bagcover and case). Not cheap if you're using Yankee greenbacks.

No E

*Ebony with stainless steel and faux-ivory mounts, includes a C-nat key.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Bill McCloskey wrote:This is a warning message: twice now I have received what appear to be fradulent emails from someone through the ebay email system, all related to my bidding on this item.

The first one came right after the first time the bidding ended on this set of pipes. Someone sent me an email throught Ebay saying that they had an identical "Factory Sealed" uilleann pipe for sale that he would let go for my bid amount: which I thought was both strange and funny. I wonder what a "Factory Sealed" Ginsberg full set would look like.

The second one came today saying that the seller was offering the set to me as Second Offering because the winning bid did not send the money and they were accepting my offer: strange since it is currently listed a second time and the first time didn't meet the reserve price.

It has been a while since I bid on Ebay. I didn't know this type of fraud was prevelent now.
Not necessarily fraud, except to ebay. The first instance is a way of circumventing auction fees entirely when several of an item are available. You simply email the bidding que down the line and as you note, offer the additional sets to the runners-up. You end up making more than the final bid price because no fees are involved.

The second instance may be simply an ignorant reseller trying to describe a set of pipes sent out enclosed in plastic or in an unopened packing box direct from the maker. Same modus operandi, auction fees are entirely circumvented.

You have no Ebay recourse however if it is fraud. You may be able to go through Pay Pal and have some protection there.

Royce
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

beckitybek wrote:This is just my personal opinion, but in general I reckon that if a pipemaker has sets of pipes surplus to requirements that need to be sold on Ebay then there has got to be a question about their quality. In my experience any pipemaker of any repute has people lining up at the door waiting to get a set, and that those that have sets 'on the shelf' might look pretty but are rarely the business....
I too wondered why Alan Ginsberg's brother is selling pipes on eBay.
Some use it as a means of cheap advertising.
It's accepted practice for pipemakers to have 'extra sets' on hand to sell when displaying their wares at Tionols... always a reason to bring your checkbook along.
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

benwalker wrote:What sort of price do the Spanish Pipes you mention go for?
I think Music Room Traditional Music shop in Cleckheaton have one for about £900 (eeeek!)
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Practice set? £900. Thats a lot of dosh! :o
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

benwalker wrote:Practice set? £900. Thats a lot of dosh! :o
I know!!! I was trying them out when they told me the price! I hastily put them (very carefully) back in the case :D
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

always a reason to bring your checkbook along.[/quote]

.......or to leave it at home depending on its thickness :P
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I take my pipes, just in case I want to swap them or sell them....... :roll:

Alan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If I can, I like to bring along someone elses checkbook, money order or cash...one never knows when a good deal can pop up. :D
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:If I can, I like to bring along someone elses checkbook, money order or cash...one never knows when a good deal can pop up. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I see the same seller has now listed a refurbished ½ set in D by Ginsberg

No need to post all the pictures...follow this link.

Ginsberg pipes

Post by Guest »

The seller is his brother(???????). Seems strange that mr Ginsberg, a retired teacher, with a web site, needs his "brother" to advertise on ebay for him?
He`s the only pipe maker i`m aware of who has several full sets available at any one time, ready for dispatch at a moments notice. He also has 1/2 a dozen half sets and dozens of practise sets on his shelves.
I`ve seen several of his sets and they range from o.k. to naff but maybe i`ve only seen the bad ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3738392464
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I don't think there is anything wrong with either selling sets on E Bay or having a stock of sets for sale......or having someone else look after yer website,could be simply that he is not good with computers?

I just think his sets were wrang!!!!!

That admittedly is only based on my obs of 2 of his sets and that was some years back,so maybe he did get the tuning right on the chanter and regs! I hope so.

Perhaps some o ye out there might be playing his stuff and might be quite happy if so pipe up.I did ask a while back" what did they sound like?" :wink:
Uilliam
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Well, seems the set went for $2000... really low price!
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Actually, it went for 2000 GBP, or $3565 US.