Need for Speed!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

stew wrote:Mr M
Speed don't come from Columbia :wink: Just Bandits and coffee 8)
OOps :oops: I can't tell Pepsi from Coke either! :lol:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

So, is that an additional use for the tenor drone: doing up the ol' Peruvian marching powder? :wink:
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Frankly, Ston. If the collective experience of many senior players tells a young man who has been playing for a year or so to learn some real fundamentals, I would take the wisdom that has been provided. I think the tone is proper -- and there have been some terrific suggestions, and Orbis has asked for them.

It'd be nice of Orbis to comment, since he brought the post to life in the first place. Take this: where would you be without any teachers, mentors or pioneers? Listen to music, listen to people that have knowledge. If you don't then you seem arrogant and hasty.

On the other side of the argument, it is a wonderful gift to be innovative and spirited. The ones who use this with the wisdom of others are, arguably, destined to succeed. Take the comments not as negative but as constructive and get on with the day. Go forward, move ahead, it's not too late to whip it - whip it good!

All the best,

PR
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

18 years of GHB's, I think orbis knows what he's getting into regarding what interests him in Uilleann pipes. I didn't expect such a welcome we've given him for expressing his thoughts...
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Tony'
I think you maybe right we may have been a bit harsh on the lad I'll apologize for the guy's one thing orbis must realize, is there such a thing as the greatest piper everybody's view of a piper is different from one another just being a good pipe player is all that I would like to achieve maybe when orbis start playing drones and regs his apinion may change only time will tell but I still say technique and style is better than speed. :P Go on then a little bit of speed is okay . 8)

Sorry about the echoe's Guys :oops:

Bunnahabhain 12 year olde Islay Malt is my favorite what's yours Patrick
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

"it's not too late to whip it - whip it good!"

Paul,
You sure know how to break the ice...
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I just want to make sure that I'm not taken toooo seriously. After all mine certainly isn't the only opinion that matters. Nothing better than being an individual :)

And by the way, Orbis is absolutely, incontravertably, positively welcome -- never ever let that be an issue.

Cheers,

PR
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Take it easy lads,

Orbis is just on the learning path. At the moment he's into speed which will enhance dexterity to some extent. After a while playing that way he'll hear something or be shown something that will change his approach, this will probably happen many times.

At the moment he's into speed, possibly legatto style (Orbis?):

<li>next year he'll be into triplets and stacatto,
<li>the year after that he'll be into combining the two,
<li>the year after that he'll be into rhythm,
<li>the year after that he'll be into improvising,
<li>the year after that he'll be into "the tune",
<li>the year after that he'll be into the internal rhythm and structure and their relation to the mode in which the tune resides,
<li>the year after that he'll look back on his achievments and discover the magic of whiskey! ;)

Good luck,

Patrick.
Listen to Patrick, all ye pipers. I think he got it right, and you don't really know how right he is unless you've been there.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Lorenzo do my eyes deceive me or have yooo aged overnight and is that a flat set your playing in the neeeew picture?
Slan go foill :party: Liam
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Ston ..I don't think it was an unwelcome response and of course ye can play the instrument any way ye like..a lot of folk do.I don't think any amount of years as a Highland Piper will make a HUGE difference to your mastery of the Uilleann Pipes as I have seen many GHB pipers transfer to UPs and sure enough they will pick up the music quickly and master bag and bellowsbut and heres the rub...GHB techniques especially if you've been playing for many years will be difficult to forget and I have seen the transfer of same to Uilleann pipes so what you end up with is a hybrid neither one nor the other.Which is a shame because you have to gently tell em that your playing the pipes like a highland set .Now I am not saying that one is better than the other(of course the UPs are better) but that there is a difference and I don't care who you are it takes a lot longer than a year to master,and thats giving it at least an hour a day..In many ways it is better to start the Uilleann pipes with a blank sheet (no previous music) that way your not gonna bring across bad habits and your learning curve will be easier as you don't have to unlearn...
But hey Ston let us know when you start!!
Slan go foill :party:
ston

Post by ston »

Uilliam wrote:But hey Ston let us know when you start!!
You bet I will :) I'm sure I'll be bouncing off the walls when my starter set arrives (theoretically two or three weeks from now).

Of course, I have a different sort of challenge than a GHB player: I haven't played much Irish music, I'm not familiar with the ornamentation, and I'm coming from Bulgarian gaida! Talk about your different styles! I'm sure I'll have fun learning, though.

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

As a general observation, my experience has been that those in favour of a slower pace often express very negative veiws about the faster styles of playing. However, I rarely hear the latter giving out about the former! I don't think that speed should be an issue unless playing for dancers. Today, much Irish music is designed soley for listening and we have to take this into account. Padraig O Keefe who shaped much of the Sliabh Luachra repertoire reputedly hated playing for dancers. It's not a sin to love the music for itself. Many of the older players tipped along at a fair old pace, as long as the music is "right" it doesn't matter. Also one shouldn't curb the enthusiam of youth too much, we have all got plenty of time to be boring old pontificating gits who talk about how much better things were in their days. Actually, I'm looking forward to it, but until then I think the speeding fines are going to keep coming!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

A few things I've noticed -

While I was taking piano lessons my teacher had to keep reminding me to play the music how it was written, that faster didn't necessarily mean better. That having been said, Orbis asked for fast tunes, not to simply play tunes fast. Anyone who wants to "play fast" can simply take Donnybrook Fair and set the metronome to 210, and with practice, will eventually be able to do it, but it will be a butcher of a tune. That wasn't his request as I understood it he was looking for tunes that were designed to be "fast," which is fine. After all, my piano teacher would complain equally about me not playing a fast piece up to tempo.

Secondly, I get the sense that Orbis may have taken offence and is not even checking the thread anymore as he seems to have not said anything in a long while, which is a shame. If you're still checking, don't go away.

:sniffle:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

stew wrote:I still say technique and style is better than speed. :P Go on then a little bit of speed is okay . 8)

Amen.

Bunnahabhain 12 year olde Islay Malt is my favorite what's yours Patrick

I'm a Lagavulin 16 man myself. Bowmore is pretty good, too.
:twisted:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Uilliam wrote:Lorenzo do my eyes deceive me or have yooo aged overnight and is that a flat set your playing in the neeeew picture?
Slan go foill :party: Liam
Yea, I'm older than I once was, but younger than I'll be...

I found an old piture the other day, of me playing my first practice chanter about 20 years ago, with cowboy hat and beard, sitting at the pump organ, with a pencil holding down the D key for drones. :lol: I'll have to adjust that one for a new avatar!

Yea, that's an old flat set, a 1938 Gibson with strings attached. I get tired of reeds sometimes.