Flat high G fixes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flat high G fixes

Post by tompipes »

Say for instance a pipemaker was asked to make a wide bore C chanter, How would he do it? Would he sit down with a blank piece of paper and a calculator and work out the bore and hole placements and know that his measurements would produce a wide bore chanter pitched in C.
You could copy one too but a pencil, calculator and paper combined with a good knowledge of bore acoustics and existing bore designs.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

geoff wooff wrote: when you have put in the thousands of unpaid hours of research to find out what works and what does not, only to find that you have reached pension age without any hope of being financially able to actually retire...
I'd give you a pension Geoff, if I could afford it.

Come to think of it, has any pipemaker ever been given a medal or something for services to the piping community?
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Driftwood wrote:
geoff wooff wrote: when you have put in the thousands of unpaid hours of research to find out what works and what does not, only to find that you have reached pension age without any hope of being financially able to actually retire...
I'd give you a pension Geoff, if I could afford it.

Come to think of it, has any pipemaker ever been given a medal or something for services to the piping community?

Medal? .....now what was that story about flight + pigs ?.

Thanks for the (spiritual) offer of a pension Driftwood.. nice thought indeed ! But seeing as I'm now (probably) the best Pipemaker I've ever been... I'd better just carry on . :)
Patient customers; don't worry I have no intention of stopping production.

Geoff.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Driftwood wrote: has any pipemaker ever been given a medal or something for services to the piping community?
Yes, everytime they make a set of pipes they get a big cash prize.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

rorybbellows wrote:Driftwood wrote: has any pipemaker ever been given a medal or something for services to the piping community?Yes, everytime they make a set of pipes they get a big cash prize.RORY
I understand what you're saying Rory, but it's a hard line your taking there. Ever thought of working for the IMF?
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Driftwood wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:Driftwood wrote: has any pipemaker ever been given a medal or something for services to the piping community?Yes, everytime they make a set of pipes they get a big cash prize.RORY
I understand what you're saying Rory, but it's a hard line your taking there. Ever thought of working for the IMF?
LOL

I agree that pipemakers "don't know what they are doing" if by that you mean they cannot design a good chanter etc. from first principles. The physics is too complex for that. Occasionally we can make good "educated guesses". Experience is still the best education.
KJM

Post by KJM »

billh wrote:
Driftwood wrote:
LOL

I agree that pipemakers "don't know what they are doing" if by that you mean they cannot design a good chanter etc. from first principles. The physics is too complex for that. Occasionally we can make good "educated guesses". Experience is still the best education.
Not to mention the extra step of after achieving a satisfactory model/simulation process, you then have to go the extra step of how to intelligently make changes to the design in order to produce a desired outcome in the frequency spectrum of the notes, and be able to map that with what sounds "good". There is probably a good balance of approximated theory/modeling and experience that we can achieve, but maybe we're not there yet.

On that note, I have access to some computational resources if any other science-savvy pipemakers have some ideas.