Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Stew...the Roberts pipes are working great, first time I haven't had to mess with reeds and retuning a lot. They're quite stable. The chanter is my old one that I kept and is a good match for the set. I guess I'm getting into hybrids like several other pipers I know. Funny how you somehow find your favorite chanter with different drones and different regs. I often wondered why pipers like AlanB, Paddy K, Todd D. and others did that! I always thought of myself as a purist..not in favor of mixing sets.
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Lorenzo, Im pleased you got what you wanted :) Ive said this before when or if you get a good chanter that plays as good as it sounds make sure you keep hold of it sometimes you can't always get things the way you want them from the one maker your lucky you seem to have everything the way you want it for your set 8)
Sean Dillon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Sean McAloon Set

Post by Sean Dillon »

A Sean McAloon 3/4 set made from ebony, brass and real ivory. This set was made for my father in 1984. Sean McAloon was both an excellent piper and fiddle player and did great work in the promotion of piping in Belast. Eammon Dillon and John McSherry also play McAloon sets.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Hello everybody,

well, as it is my first post on this forum, this topic seems very suitable to introduce myself... And my pipes. I am french and living in Japan. I play (or I try to play, should I say to be more sincere) a Dave Williams full-set, usually with an Andreas Rogge chanter, as show on this picture:
Last edited by Felix on Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

:boggle:
Felix, the picture itself has the highest coolness factor....a full set on tatami like that! :D So...you got that set while you were in Japan?
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Felix

Post by Felix »

Tak:
That's it. I received the set two months ago, and I was already in Japan five years ago when I ordered it.
I'm happy to see there are some people on this forum who are living in Japan. I hope we will meet one day.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

I live in Tokyo but I am perfectly isolated.I have few piper friends in
KANSAI AREA(mostly KYOTO)but no one in Tokyo.
We are all a novice and learning everything by ourselves(thanks everyone in this forum! this forum is my biggest influence,source of many useful informations).
We are now trying to start reedmaking,but not a easy thing to get started.
We will be glad if we can have a living expert piper as for a teacher.mentor.

Hello Felix
Very nice to hear that there is a good piper living in Japan! It will be nice if we could meet someday.
Please visit the site below.We are helping eachothers in this forum.
The owner of this site recently ordered a full set to Dave Williams.

http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/midnightwalker/
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

welcome felix. is that mainstock hollow for the drones ( all the reeds in the same chamber ) ? i noticed she is all brass. i ask because i am on the verge of making one and am not sure which style i'll use.
best , tansy
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Danny (from email)...I copied this from page 4 of this thread. Good idea to post instructions again. Since we have this new C&F format, it's a lot easier...just highlight the URL off "properties" and click Img above when you're posting.

PHOTO POSTING: You need to have a picture already up and running somewhere on the net before you can post them here. You can use something like eBay, an internet dating service, or a friends web site, MSN, etc., to post pictures on the net--some sites are free and let you change pictures all the time. Then copy them over here like this:

Find your pic on your internet site, place the cursor on the pic, right click for menu, left click on properties, find and copy the URL-http address, then paste it on this page..then type img(insert address here)/img. The letters "img" and "/img" must each be in brackets like these [ ]address[ ]. You can practice this on any of the pictures on this page. Or, email them to some of us--many of us are very open and post our email addresses here in an act of good faith.

Or, you can just paste the URL address here like this...here's what the URL address of my pic looks like:
http://170.224.13.103/picsnum/115/993/1159936420.jpg

Also, see FAQ above for more details on image transfers.
kenr

Post by kenr »

Tansey,

Felix's set must have been the completed set sitting in Dave's workshop last time I was up there. If I had known there would be questions later I would have paid more attention! Had a quick look in the case that's all, but it looked like Dave's usual high standard. Hope it gives you years of pleasure Felix.

I would say that the mainstock is hollow. My flat set has the same all brass stock. The ends are heavy black plastic with brass tubing to take the regulators. The inside end is plain with just two brass tubes and the drone switch. It saves on scarce hardwood and over the years the brass weathers nicely.

Ken
Felix

Post by Felix »

Tansy:
Ken description is accurate. Here's a picture to illustrate it:

Ken: I would have like to see the making of these pipes (or part of it). Too bad, I was a bit to far to pay a visit to Dave Williams. I hope I will have the opportunity to tell him one day in person how I'm happy with this set.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

thank you ken and thank you felix, i appreciate the effort you spent posting that photo. i will probably use that style.
i'll order the tubing monday.

a fun weekend to all :party: , tansy

i'm rushing things, it's only thursday :oops:
Idwood

Post by Idwood »

Hi,
I just had the opportunity to test a digital camera and of course, I took some pictures of my instruments :wink:
The first photo shows one of my currently finished half sets (here equipped with a Rogge narrow bore D chanter), the second one shows a chanter top detail of what I call "visible reed". As many others, I was interested to see what the reed would do when I play, so I decided to unveil its secret life.

P.S.: Concerning the whiskey discussion in a recent thread: I prefer "Connemara" - you can taste the peat :)
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Idwood, The glass reed cap is a great idea. Can you see if a bridal is loose or if it buzzes around on the reed? I have one reed that makes the chanter vibrate more than the others and I wondered if it's just loose in the socket or if one reed slip is thicker than the other casuing the oscillation. Having a 'window' would be a way to visually check on a reed.

Another question... does condensation ever form on the glass when playing at different temperatures?
Idwood

Post by Idwood »

Tony wrote:Idwood, The glass reed cap is a great idea. Can you see if a bridal is loose or if it buzzes around on the reed? I have one reed that makes the chanter vibrate more than the others and I wondered if it's just loose in the socket or if one reed slip is thicker than the other casuing the oscillation. Having a 'window' would be a way to visually check on a reed.

Another question... does condensation ever form on the glass when playing at different temperatures?

Tony,
watching a well performing reed is - frankly - quite boring. What you notice is that the vibration render the tip of the lips a bit unsharp. If something goes wrong, like a loose bridle, for example, you can see it. So it is quite helpful, I guess. It allows you, for example, to see whether your reed touches the chanter top wall which sometimes might happen and cause some distortion of the sound.
Under normal conditions I have not noticed condensation. If you blow the chanter briefly with your mouth, then of course it becomes foggy at once (I tried it just for testing, of course :wink: )

Best regards!