Writing a paper on traditional Irish music

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ciarameddaru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Writing a paper on traditional Irish music

Post by Ciarameddaru »

Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm going to follow up on some of these leads.

TheSilverSpear - You make an interesting point about my language. Without writing an in depth diatribe here, I suppose I generally do tend to look skeptically at modernization's affect on traditional culture. I try to suppress this tendency and be as objective as I can, but it can be difficult.

tompipes - Thank you for your informative response. With respect to literacy, when I use the term oral culture, or a culture with a strong oral residue, I don't necessarily mean that the performer all all illiterate or even musically illiterate but that does play into it as well.

maki - I would be open to the possibility of a skype interview with someone if you have someone in mind.
Zampogna: The Soul of Southern Italy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa4W7iA5So
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by bcullen »

"that's the kind of rubbish Noel Hill spouts"

Ergo i spout rubbish. I bow to your superior intellect and knowledge

Bryan
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

bcullen wrote:"that's the kind of rubbish Noel Hill spouts"

Ergo i spout rubbish. I bow to your superior intellect and knowledge
Now, now. Framing ideas of genetic memory or collective unconscious in terms of race memory is bound to be problematic, to the extent that the notion of race is scientifically rubbish. You're in Grattan Flood and Seumas MacManus territory there, and probably not a great starting point for an NYU term paper.

FWIW, I asked a friend who has attended many Noel Hill workshops, and was told that it's not something that has ever come up in that context. Steampacket, are you referring maybe to private communications or things that Noel has written? Just curious.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
oliver

Post by oliver »

MTGuru wrote: Now, now. Framing ideas of genetic memory or collective unconscious in terms of race memory is bound to be problematic, to the extent that the notion of race is scientifically rubbish. You're in Grattan Flood and Seumas MacManus territory there, and probably not a great starting point for an NYU term paper.
So right ! How can the concept of "race" explain the fact that a Japanese makes pipes ?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And the irony, to continue on from Steampacket, of the idea being supported by someone who plays what Breandán Breathnach [calls] 'the only musical instrument invented by an Englishman'.

But, having heard the argument trotted out a few times, it's not about who makes the instrument, it's about who can play the music well and who can't, based on their genetic make-up.
My brain hurts

tompipes

Post by tompipes »

based on their genetic make-up.
Including the quality of their long term memory and hand-eye co-ordination.
Doesn't matter where you come from. What matters is a willingness to learn.
oliver

Post by oliver »

tompipes wrote:
based on their genetic make-up.
Doesn't matter where you come from. What matters is a willingness to learn.
That's right, I don't see what genetics have to do with that, knowing that the brain evolves according to what activites you do, and that the more you play, the more the musical area of the brain is activated.
It's like a language, the more you're exposed to it, the better you can understand and speak.

My point in mentioning a Japanese maker was how can a man from Japan be so interested in the pipes as to make them, not only play them. Making them is a step further than just playing IMHO.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think you're falling into the same dubious trap by mentioning a Japanese maker. Is he any different than the well established makers from England, France, Germany or the US?
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"FWIW, I asked a friend who has attended many Noel Hill workshops, and was told that it's not something that has ever come up in that context. Steampacket, are you referring maybe to private communications or things that Noel has written? Just curious" MTGuru

Noel Hill talked about "genetic memory" in the the Willie Clancy Summer School documentary "Inside the circle" DVD. The whole documenary was available on Youtube, but has been pulled. There is a trailer on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/39708022

From the "secret list" I can quote the words of an esteemed Irish traditional musician:
"I see Noel Hill was going on with that dubious "music in the genes" routine back in 2003; is he still doing that, I wonder?"

Doesn't matter where you come from. What matters is a willingness to learn. Tompipes.

Exactly :thumbsup:
oliver

Post by oliver »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I think you're falling into the same dubious trap by mentioning a Japanese maker. Is he any different than the well established makers from England, France, Germany or the US?
I'm falling into no trap, thank you. Perhaps I should explain better ; Japanese was the nationality which was the furthest from any western nationality I could think of, and my point was that no matter the ethnic background, be it Japanese (and so far from the western world), anyone could be interested in playing or making the Irish (English ?) pipes. Where's the trap ?
I think it's enough to banish any mention of race or genes or whatever, and so, as a matter of course, he's no different than the other makers you mention. And to make it clear, I don't care for the ethnic background as long as the piper or pipemaker has respect and knowledge of the tradition, and does a good quality job, or at least, tries to.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Perhaps I should explain better ; Japanese was the nationality which was the furthest from any western nationality I could think of, and my point was that no matter the ethnic background, be it Japanese (and so far from the western world), anyone could be interested in playing or making the Irish (English ?) pipes.
It wasn't that long ago when there was huge surprise at pipers emerging from Donegal.
:boggle:
maki

Post by maki »

maki - I would be open to the possibility of a skype interview with someone if you have someone in mind.

I can't volunteer anyone for you, and I'm a total n00b knowledge wise.
Just sayin you might cast a wider net.