Got my chanter. So many questions!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobkeenan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Got my chanter. So many questions!!!

Post by bobkeenan »

This forum is a great resource. But the thing that could help you about a hundred times better is to get a tutor or experienced piper to sit down with you for a even just a few lessons. Another piper could tell you if the reed and chanter are set well and then help you with technique.

I started about a year ago. My tutor found that my bag leaked, so I was pumping way too hard and the reed that I had was no good. With both of those fixed he went on to show me technique. My first lesson was playing a constant note A for a while....... It took me a week to get that down, properly :-).

If you are not near any pipers I think it would be worth your while to go to the nearest piper. I bet even of there are no tutors in your area that another piper might be willing to help out a bit.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Good thread! I especially support the advice to not get too hung up on the second octave too early, certainly not until you've gotten over your overblowing/hole-sealing hump. The intuitive things for beginners to do on high notes are to overblow(-squeeze), and to strangle the chanter, out of the stress and horror that come from missed high notes.

Overblowing and strangling/clenching are bad habits that are difficult to get rid of once established. Many of us, I think, struggle with the Death Grip; the sooner you figure out how to relax your hands, the better. And some day you'll have an otherwise-terrific reed on which certain notes (e.g. back D, C#) only play in tune given much lighter pressure than the rest of the scale wants, so I guarantee that nuanced bag control will also always be important.

P.S. ...and yes, you definitely want some lessons, even if only via Skype, but better still in person so that, as Bob suggests, you can get a sanity-check on your hardware. If, for example, your reed needs adjusting, you're much better off being taught how to do that safely, than experimenting on your own.

It's much easier to screw reeds up than to fix them, and if there's one thing I'm an expert at, it's screwing up reeds. ;-)

Good luck!
Mick
mke_mick

Post by mke_mick »

P.P.S. Congratulations on getting a Lawrence chanter! I'm sure I speak for many of us in admitting some envy. :-)

--Mick
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I am from Alberta, do you know of any people from here?

I'm sure if there are there would only be 2 or 3. If not here, there is a pipers club in British Columbia.

If there is no hope then I will go on skype at UilleannObsession. I saw one of Pat's tutors, and he too, plays a Lawrence C#.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Another thing, I didn't see it mentioned, to remember is that your bag arm controls the air flow to your chanter, not your bellows. The bellows only fills the bag (and never fill the bag to capacity, leave 10% so your arm regulates the pressure, not the the filled bag)
My brain hurts

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

mke_mick wrote:P.P.S. Congratulations on getting a Lawrence chanter! I'm sure I speak for many of us in admitting some envy. :-)

--Mick
Why thank you! :D

The sound samples on the website do not do it justice. In person it sounds, I dunno... Can't put it in words.

Let's just say that it has THE sound that I am looking for (not that I can get a decent sound out of it, but from what I can manage), in fact it is quite eerie how much it met my expectations...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

ennischanter wrote:I got my Sam Lawrence C# chanter.

It is great, the only problem is that I can't really feel the holes very well, and it sounds like a dying cow or duck. Is this normal? Has anyone else had trouble sealing tone holes? Also the reed is rather stiff, will it become easier to play as time goes by?

Sorry for amateur questions, but I just need some err..... reassurance.. :wink:

if you can't feel the holes and it sounds like a dying duck, how can you say it's great? :P

Take it to piper near you and have it checked out and the reed adjusted, as a new player, you may need a lighter reed that was supplied.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

I was talking about the craftsmanship and all.... Heheheheh

But it's getting better now, I am starting to get an understanding for it. Now I just need to keep that up for a while.

kathaleenypoopa

Post by kathaleenypoopa »

Wow - so many great suggestions. One other one - get a full length mirror and when you practice, watch your fingers in the mirror. You'll find the divils that aren't covering the holes.

I liked the suggestion about filling the bag and closing the chanter - all fingers down and chanter on the knee, too. You could find the leaky culprits that way.

Good luck! It is a journey!

K
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

I am doing that right now! :)

Most of my problems are coming from the F# hole. :tantrum:

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Everything is going great now!

But unfortunately I have the dreaded sinking Back D! It just went very flat, but after I take a break it sounds normal again!

Is it humidity/climate related? Am I overplaying it? Or did the fairies find a new guy (me) to pick on? :P

Are there any pipers that you guys know of that are in Edmonton, Alberta?

I guess it's pretty obvious that an Uilleann chanter really is a living entity!

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

It could be an indicator of all kinds of things, but start simple and see if you might just be squashing it. Play a two-octave D scale and try "lightening your bag arm" to reduce your bag pressure just a bit as you approach the back D.

In other words, less power to your elbow! ;-)

Of course it could all change tomorrow. Temperature and humidity definitely have an effect.

My reed has weak back D days every now and again, and I often find tact and diplomacy to be a good solution, at least in the short term. I think I'd rather see you do that than start fooling with the bridle just yet.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
mke_mick

Post by mke_mick »

Cathy beat me to the punch! Or did she?
mke_mick wrote:And some day you'll have an otherwise-terrific reed on which certain notes (e.g. back D, C#) only play in tune given much lighter pressure than the rest of the scale wants...
;-) Try lots less bag pressure on back D.

Cheers,
Mick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Try play back d' with two fingers off (thumb and index).
My brain hurts

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Thanks, the pressure thing is helping! And so is lifting the index finger, but just hafta get used to that though!

It is behaving better today, yesterday it was raining pretty hard, and today it is nice and sunny. So I am guessing that it is a climate/weather thing.

Edit: After I had a shower it played rather sharp (I tested it, and it says likes to play about 14 cents flat of C#.) and the D has gone quite flat. Some of the remaining moisture from my arm must have been sucked through the bellows and into the bag. So I am sure it must be a moisture thing. Does a reed like to play at a certain humidity level?

It sounds eerily similar to the chanter in The Wandering Minstrel. Which is interesting!

Sorry for going on and on and on! I'm just having too much fun with my new toy, and I am also still trying to wrap my head around how this very mysterious instrument works. (Aren't we all?) :)