Hornpipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

hornpipe

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Merrily Kiss the Quakers Wife.

I really like the swing in this one.

Neil
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I thought that Merrily Kiss the Quakers Wife was a slide.

I like "Fisherman's Lilt" or Fisherman's Hornpipe with lots of tight triplets/tipping.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

The Banks of Turf is a nice one in G, and it goes well with Alexander's or Chief O'Neill's. The Green Island is also a good one for the pipes.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The two I'm currently working on are Dunphy's and Alexander's.
PJ
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

tommykleen wrote:Did the hornpipes of old, in the hands of the old masters, have a lot more swing to them? (longer on the dotted eighth notes/shorter on the sixteenths)?

It often seems that way.

t
Depended on the player, in general I'd say musicians of past generations were more swingin', maybe as a result of playing more for dancers, or less with guitarists.

There's a great track on the Topic CD Past Masters of Irish Dance of Pat Roche's Harp and Shamrock Orchestra playing the Boys of Bluehill/Stack of Wheat, where Pat dances a step - he was a dancing teacher, influencing many including the Lord of the Dance himself. Tempo is brisk enough. To see the modern tempo at work there's a bit of a girl stepping to the Harvest Home in the Come West Along the Road Vol. 2 DVD.

I play The Sailor's Hornpipe as well, in D with lotsa crans. You can go up to the third octave D if you're inclined, some settings don't have that - it's why fiddlers play the tune in Bb, where a high Bb is no problem. I used to leave out the G# notes but they're actually quite easy to include with a bit of practice.

There are various fiddle hornpipes I'm fond of, some of them fiendishly tricky. Chief O'Neill's is a classic tune but I always scowl when players of lesser instruments throw in that awful F natural in the second part.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

There's dancers, and then there's dancers. if ya know what I mean.

Dancers dancing sets, together, communally, tend to like 'em fast. Often too fast IMO (even now that I'm nearly able to play at that speed!).

On the other hand, solo competition step dancers, who perhaps confusingly to the novice, dance set dances (in contrast to the set dancers who dance sets), like 'em very slow and tend to be very formulaic about exactly what setting of what tune played with which turn in bar 14 etc. etc., partly because of the elaborate steps that they have worked out, and partly because the accordion player on the dance tape which is always used for practice, plays it that way ;-)

So, "dancers" may want it very slow, or very fast, or - if they are of a certain age and living in Clare - just right ;-) , depending on what sort of dancing you mean.

With the exception of the competition step-dance thing, I think most people tend to play hornpipes too fast. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have a bit of lift of course!

Bill
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

There's dancers, and then there's dancers. if ya know what I mean.
Indeed, manufactured Feis dancers......
Did the hornpipes of old, in the hands of the old masters, have a lot more swing to them?
Tom and Kevin are right, and Bill too.

Hornpipe playing is about 'swing' and bounce.

This business about playing hornpipes at 1st gear bpm is as manufactured as the term 'Celtic music'......

rubbish.

Laban and Uilliam help me......

Tommy
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

tompipes wrote:
Hornpipe playing is about 'swing' and bounce.
Tommy
I seldom here it these days. 'Cept in Old Timey players. Hmm.

tk
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I seldom here it these days. 'Cept in Old Timey players. Hmm.
Indeed.

http://www.archive.org/details/LeoRowso ... oneysuckle

http://www.archive.org/details/LeoRowso ... eKillifane

Tommy
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tompipes wrote:Laban and Uilliam help me......
One of these two gents (you decide who it was) PM'ed me the following:
I remember when I started playing hornpipes my mother said that I was playing far too slow .She was an all Ireland Champion Dancer as a young girl and knew what she was aboot.Anyways ye will find that the tempo is 180 for Hornpipes and 224 for reels.(Breathnach Ceol Rince 1)So ye can see that it is quite close to the speed of the reel.
Another thing ifn ye look at O'Neils ,by far the majority of Hornpipes are not dotted(over 100)So the presumption that all hornpipes are is quite wrang.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

PJ wrote:
One of these two gents (you decide who it was) PM'ed me the following:
I remember when I started playing hornpipes my mother said that I was playing far too slow .She was an all Ireland Champion Dancer as a young girl and knew what she was aboot.Anyways ye will find that the tempo is 180 for Hornpipes and 224 for reels.(Breathnach Ceol Rince 1)So ye can see that it is quite close to the speed of the reel.
Another thing ifn ye look at O'Neils ,by far the majority of Hornpipes are not dotted(over 100)So the presumption that all hornpipes are is quite wrang.
Ah, you just can't mistake that Dutch vernacular! :)

t