Comparing Paddy Keenan,s Chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hornpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hornpiper »

You've turned timber?
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Why yes, Ben-ya-meen, I have.

I've made many a baseball bat. Bowls too. And some other stuff, but that was years ago. No chanters or regs or drones. Maybe someday.

Stuart
Evertjan 't Hart

Post by Evertjan 't Hart »

Recently I've changed my bore design to bring the E's and the soft/hard bottom D in tune without using rushes in the bore.
I made one in Box and one in Ebony and there's a huge difference in how they sound. The sound of the Box version is rounder, warmer if you like.
I think boxwood emphasizes or mute other harmonics then Ebony. So I really don't care if sience has proven material doesn't matter, the proof is in the listening :)
In the testing, so same bore, same reed, same top piece, but different wood equals very different sound.

Evertjan

giggleswicksam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by giggleswicksam »

The idea that wood has no effect on different chanters of the same design is, to me, a bit like asserting that dogs do not pee on lamp posts!

I have 3 C# chanters of the same design knocking around at the moment, and only one reed, which I am swapping around. The chanters are in ebony, blackwood and palosanto. THey have the same throat, OD, hole sizes / placings and bore. They all sound different.

Yes, three different reeds would probably have a greater effect, but the wood has a significant effect on the tone. I also have box, ebony, palosanto and lignum vitae concert chanters of a very similar design, and there is a rack of difference between them.

I'd love to record them all and prove my point, but too busy to go into the studio. Sorry.

Perhaps some difference occurs due to the different ways that different woods take a reamer, but I don't believe this is entirely responsible. The difference between a rough and a highly polished bore on the same chanter is less than different woods, in my experience.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Paddy was in town in May. He confided in me that he could use a new kidney so I said "Sure Paddy! (that's MISTER Keenan to you, Rory)...righty or lefty?!"

None of that is true of course, but I believe (if my tionol-clouded memory does not desert me again) that he said that Dave Williams (RIP) was making (or going to make?) a boxwood copy of his Rowsome stick as well.

t
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Its all very everyone saying that there is a difference ,but can anyone offer some concrete evidence why there is a difference, because there is loads of evidence to say there is no difference!!!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
sturob

Post by sturob »

How do you figure, Rory?

ALL of it is hearsay, you have just decided that the people in the "no difference" camp have "evidence" and those in the "there's a difference" camp don't.

Nothing that's been put forth has been concrete evidence . . . unless you've got some kind of actual evidence you're holding back.

Stuart
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I firmly believe there is a difference - so there :P

The box feels buzzier and rounds out the higher harmonics I think.

PD.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

According to the principals of acoustics ,there are two factors that control the tone of any instrument ,one ,is the method the vibration is set in motion(in this case the reed )and two is the composition of the harmonics.The composition of the harmonics are governed by the internal dimensions of the tube containing the column of vibrating air (the bore)and thats it !!!
The actual material the tube is made of has no influence!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

So why does it feel and sound different then?

PD.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:So why does it feel and sound different then?

PD.
Because as much as people think the chanters they are comparing are indenticle they are not !

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I agree with you there but there is more to it than simply a slighlty different design. The whole thing feels different. I'm not about to trust any scientists either.... they only know what they know until they are convinced of something else. :lol: ... y'know, flat earth, sea monsters, global warming etc.

PD.
Evertjan 't Hart

rorybbellows wrote:According to the principals of acoustics ,there are two factors that control the tone of any instrument ,one ,is the method the vibration is set in motion(in this case the reed )and two is the composition of the harmonics.The composition of the harmonics are governed by the internal dimensions of the tube containing the column of vibrating air (the bore)and thats it !!!
The actual material the tube is made of has no influence!!

RORY
That's not it at all! According to Nederveen (acoustical aspects of woodwind instruments)
"Still a hot item is the possible influence of wall vibrations on the sound quality." and "... but the following observation about decant recorders indicates that vibrations of the recorder bodies can be a factor."
So not so simple is it.

Evertjan
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Evertjan 't Hart wrote:Recently I've changed my bore design to bring the E's and the soft/hard bottom D in tune without using rushes in the bore.
I made one in Box and one in Ebony and there's a huge difference in how they sound. The sound of the Box version is rounder, warmer if you like.
I think boxwood emphasizes or mute other harmonics then Ebony. So I really don't care if sience has proven material doesn't matter, the proof is in the listening :)
In the testing, so same bore, same reed, same top piece, but different wood equals very different sound.

Evertjan

Evertjan, the boxwood chanter appears slightly longer than the ebony chanter. Is that correct, or is it just the photo? (Nice looking chanters, BTW)
PJ
Evertjan 't Hart

PJ wrote: Evertjan, the boxwood chanter appears slightly longer than the ebony chanter. Is that correct, or is it just the photo? (Nice looking chanters, BTW)
It's the photo they are the same.

Evertjan