Andreas Rogge

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Trevor Stewart (1976 winner All Ireland, Uilleann Pipes) plays a Rogge D 3/4 set in silver and ebony.

Boyd

(and yeah, I've got a Rogge D set as well, ebony & brass, see my emoticon)

....nobody said this would be easy......

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Doc Jones wrote:But, if you're in Dublin why not avail yourself of one of the great pipemakers in Ireland or England? I would consider it a great blessing to be close to my pipe maker. :)
Good point. It makes things easier, especially when you encounter problems with your pipes (which always can happen, regardless of the maker).
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Gabriel wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:But, if you're in Dublin why not avail yourself of one of the great pipemakers in Ireland or England? I would consider it a great blessing to be close to my pipe maker. :)
Good point. It makes things easier, especially when you encounter problems with your pipes (which always can happen, regardless of the maker).
I'm not a reedmaker, so whenever I need a reed my chanter (or whatever it is) is off to the post office. This is a pain in the caboose. I can't imagine fooling with international posting for such trivialities.

You might at least ask around your domestic pipers and makers to be sure someone will be inclined and able to reed the rascal for you when the reed that was happy in Germany decides it hates Ireland. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Re: Andreas Rogge

Post by boyd »

Wannabe-Piper wrote:
Sean Potts
Gay Mc Keon
Robbie Hannan
Peter Browne
Martin Nolan
Tom Clarke
Brian McNamara
Kierán Ó Malley
Nollaigh MacCarteigh
All the above live in Ireland.
So does Trevor Stewart. And so (currently) does Eliot Grasso.

Boyd

Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

I understand your reasoning Doc but the truth is that there ARE NO GOOD FLAT SET MAKERS CURRENTLY LIVING IN IRELAND.

Froment and Woofe havegon to France(and would have long waiting lists anyway) and Cillian O Briain does not make flat sets, and that this point is not even taking orders for CP pipes. Bill Haneman told me that his waiting list in now 5 years long. I am probably going to order from Rogge or possibly Gallagher, as I am awaiting a CP half set from Seth.
Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Sorry. That last post made out that Bill H. is not a good flat set maker. From what I have seen and heard, the complete opposite is the case.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I had Martin Preshaw was trying to break into the flat pipes market. Have you run a query past him?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

No I have not.

You see, I have heard glowing tributes for Rogge's work. And had I not been reading this board for some time now, I would not even have heard of Martin. Also, the fact that he is 'thinking of venturing intot he flat pipes buisness' is slightly discouraging.

If, and when, I do order a flat set, I want it to be a fantastic set, one that would last a lifetime, and one that could be handed down to the next piping generation. I am not saying that this would not happen if I bought s set from Martin, but I AM saying that it will not happen if I place an order with Andreas.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Wannabe-Piper wrote:....but I AM saying that it will not happen if I place an order with Andreas.
Apart from that Andreas will post you any in tune reed in a very short time and you have to learn how to adjust it anyway. This is even more important for a piper than learning tunes. As Pat Sky wrote: "There is no way about it". After all, a set of pipes is something different than a stringed instrument where you just go into any music-shop to buy a new set of "ropes".
Hans
boyd

Post by boyd »

Wannabe-Piper wrote:
If, and when, I do order a flat set, I want it to be a fantastic set, one that would last a lifetime, and one that could be handed down to the next piping generation. I am not saying that this would not happen if I bought a set from Martin, but I AM saying that it will not happen if I place an order with Andreas.

Double negatives really confuse me.....

and looks in grammatical terms like u are saying "getting a fantastic set will not happen if I place an order with Andreas" when I think you really mean that you are sure you'll get a fantastic set if you order from Andreas ??????

AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

It looks like Peter Hunter makes flat sets.

Davy Stephenson will take you all the way down to G... that's right, G. Although that would end up sounding more like a pastoral pipe.

Does anybody if Eugene Lambe or Cillian O'Briain make flat sets?

If you're getting something from overseas don't forget the favorable exchange rates with Canada and the USA. (hopefully that will change in 7 years time).

I'll caveat that I don't play uilleann pipes and if I did I would either sound too much like a flute player or a Highland piper to be called an uilleann piper :wink:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Martin Preshaw makes lovely C sets. You could probably drive over and play one (how would that be). Or, if you want to come to Idaho, you can play my Gallagher B set. I'll make sandwiches. :)

Remember, I'm not knockin g Rogge whatsoever. Certainly get one from him if you like. But do check out Martin as well if your searching. Really a nice fellow and makes a mean set of pipes. I had one of his older C sets and it was beautiful to see and hear. His new models are said to be even nicer. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
boyd

Post by boyd »

Its an interesting point that there arent all that many flat set makers around.
I hadnt thought of that before.

carel

Post by carel »

MvD also makes flat sets
boyd

Post by boyd »

http://www.box.net/shared/dtmsoecdsk

A Rogge D set in the hands of a complete tosser.

(sorry about the choice of choon) :oops:

(its amazing the amnesia that happens to a fella when there's a microphone brought into the equation)